Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I reckon you know stuff all about working in a government job. Your attitudes as displayed by your posts here would set off alarm bells in a public service organisation (e.g. your posts about not working with another female apprentice; shut up and do as I say). But don’t take my work for it, apply for some positions and see how you go - you never know if you don’t give it a try.

But I trained a female apprentice. She didn't get her cert because the tafe wouldn't do classes during Covid, so she basically had two extra years added on by no fault of her own, I would have signed her off, but she left to the government.
But there is issues with women in workshops, If I was in the government I would have to work with who they have, but in a private shop I would refuse to hire women, due to what I learnt.

Also like I said I likely know 100 times more than you about government jobs, in Canberra when you live here as long as I have about half the people you know are either ex public servants or current public servants.
I feel you don't understand the gravity of this, but when you are surrounded by them you learn quite a lot, hell I even used to go to my mums work every now and then.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Also like I said I likely know 100 times more than you about government jobs, in Canberra when you live here as long as I have about half the people you know are either ex public servants or current public servants.
I feel you don't understand the gravity of this, but when you are surrounded by them you learn quite a lot, hell I even used to go to my mums work every now and then.

Obviously you haven’t learnt much at all. As I said, apply for a position and see how you go - you might surprise yourself.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Obviously you haven’t learnt much at all. As I said, apply for a position and see how you go - you might surprise yourself.

So, because I anonymously typed on a commodore forum, that I wouldn't hire a woman as a mechanic, this somehow would exclude me from a public service job....... okay.
You clearly have no idea what you're on about.
I know these guys that used to take ecstasy while they were working for parks and gardens, which is guess what a government agency, they also used to ride the ride on mowers to the pub and drink beer at lunch time.
That sort of stuff doesn't go on anymore, but I'm sure you would horrified if you knew what really happens in government departments.
One of my mates, who retired on the CSS and gets paid for the rest of his life went and got another government job. In his first job his boss used to take him to lunch, for 3 hours drinking beer.

Like I said I know wayyyy more about govco land than the average person, this is because I've been exposed to it my entire life.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
So, because I anonymously typed on a commodore forum, that I wouldn't hire a woman as a mechanic, this somehow would exclude me from a public service job....... okay.
I know these guys that used to take ecstasy while they were working for parks and gardens, which is guess what a government agency, they also used to ride the ride on mowers to the pub and drink beer at lunch time.
That sort of stuff doesn't go on anymore, but I'm sure you would horrified if you knew what really happens in government departments.
One of my mates, who retired on the CSS and gets paid for the rest of his life went and got another government job. In his first job his boss used to take him to lunch, for 3 hours drinking beer.

Like I said I know wayyyy more about govco land than the average person, this is because I've been exposed to it my entire life.
Your mentioning going to the pub at lunch time reminded me of a job I worked on in the Brisbane CBD. Quite a few would go to the pub at lunch time. The attitude was it's my time and I will do as I please. That all changed when the boss said it wasn't a good idea. The attitude then changed pretty quick and as one said to me it's better than losing a job.

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
Your mentioning going to the pub at lunch time reminded me of a job I worked on in the Brisbane CBD. Quite a few would go to the pub at lunch time. The attitude was it's my time and I will do as I please. That all changed when the boss said it wasn't a good idea. The attitude then changed pretty quick and as one said to me it's better than losing a job.

Yep, things changed many years ago. Have a drink at lunchtime and you’d have to put in leave request for the afternoon - as the workplace won’t accept any degree of intoxication at work. Social function had to either be (a) dry, (b) at the end of the day, or (c) staff don’t return to work. I’ve been retired for years, so I suspect things will now be even tighter now. I don’t think the workplace would do anything that encourages driving home after drinking (even if it’s within the legal road-rules guidelines).

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride

As I said many time already - ‘Nike’ (just do it) and see how you go.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Well yes they do but relying on the benevolence of tradies to put apprentices on isn’t a good way of filling skills shortages.

I’m sure I’ll be howled down by every tradie here but how about an apprentice quota? Part of your duty to society as a tradie being paid a **** ton of money from society is to train the next generation of tradies rather than us just importing them from overseas.
Bad idea.
I know some excellent tradesmen who are absolutely horrible teachers/mentors. I would hate for it to be mandated they have to take on apprentices.
Lot's of industries make a **** load of money, maybe said businesses can pay to send people off to university by mandate as part of their duty to society.

Would you also accept as per the mandate, like apprentices in the the armed forces, that they need to stay on for a period of time equal to their apprenticeship after they are qualified? It's always frustrating investing time and money into apprentices who then bail the second they are qualified.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
It is. I'm on over 38, that is not enough, I'm waiting back to hear from a place that will pay me about 42, I'll work there while sending off my resumes to govco jobs, last govco job I saw that was after mechanical fitters was between 50-60 an hour plus 15% super plus full overtime not flat rate overtime like I get on award 6 or 7.
I'm under $28 per hour and I find it sufficient enough to live on and not scream poverty. In fact I've never been on that sort of coin, yet I live well enough to survive and not complain about what I've got or missed out on.

I could walk into a job paying over $28 per hour but I'm quite happy where I am, so why jump ship for extra coin with the potential of being unhappy at work? Doesn't make sense to me

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Fark! I get $42 as a property maintenance worker (casual mind you). I thought mechanics would be on a better rate given what customers get charged at most car workshops.
https://bosstradie.com.au/subby-to-salary-calculate/

Lots of tradesmen struggle to understand the difference between full time wages, casual wages and ABN.

If he’s on $38 full time that’s equivalent to $47.50 casual.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Yea and along with that quota, the apprentices have to stay the full 4 year term and do as they're told, similar to being in the army.
Otherwise go get F'ed I'll just move into the public service.

So should that mentality extend to being a qualified employee?

I spent 8 years working with a fella that spent 19 and a half years in the reserves.....He was the best workmate one could ask for. Treated everyone like he expected to be treated and didn't think himself to be above anyone....

I also worked with a drop kick that spent 3 months in the regular army before a medical issue forced him to resign...He tried treating people like some private fresh in the army....Didn't get too far with me, as my step Dad went to Duntroon, so I was seasoned to these sorts of tactics.....That ex-army jerk left...