Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Stupid exchange that she didn't deserve tbh. By all means run the "myths" line of questioning but he should have dropped the Tims gay line after the first question. Ffs - what was she supposed to say?

I don't like her or her politics but that does not give license to get a kicking like that. So what if he was gay? It has nothing what so ever to do with her policies or how she runs the country. She gives the media enough material at near every turn of her working life. This sort of crap is just uncalled for.

I agree with your comment, BUT people have been asking THE question for a long time about both of them.
Either way should make no difference to running the country of course, but living as the do I personally believe sets a very bad example for the country, the Australian people and in particular the young people of Australia.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I agree with your comment, BUT people have been asking THE question for a long time about both of them.

So what? At best he should have asked the question once, he got an answer but then going on and on about it is just disrespectful and offensive.

Either way should make no difference to running the country of course, but living as the do I personally believe sets a very bad example for the country, the Australian people and in particular the young people of Australia.

What sets a bad example?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
What sets a bad example?

Living together as they do sets a VERY bad example for the country and in particular young people.
The word "partner" is totally misused in the case of them or anybody else living together.......Partner is a business partner, or a policeman's partner doing his job.
You either have a girl friend/boy friend depending on your sex, are engaged so then that would be your fiance or are married.

There is a saying and it goes like this...........A girl should leave her parents home in a wedding dress or a pine box.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST

Is that because - 'Oh goodness gracious me, people living 'in sin', as an unmarried couple, oh dear heavens :eek: ?'

EDIT: Saw next post - so then a young lady cannot then move out of home to find work, or go to uni to further educate themselves in something very useful and rewarding like law/medicine/engineering??

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
What sets a bad example?

Living together as they do sets a VERY bad example for the country and in particular young people.
The word "partner" is totally misused in the case of them or anybody else living together.......Partner is a business partner, or a policeman's partner doing his job.
You either have a girl friend/boy friend depending on your sex, are engaged so then that would be your fiance or are married.

There is a saying and it goes like this...........A girl should leave her parents home in a wedding dress or a pine box.

loooooool your shitting me surely :lmao:. You sound like you are still in the 50's

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
loooooool your shitting me surely :lmao:. You sound like you are still in the 50's

A problem with the wedding dress/pine box concept is if she is a lesbian she is pretty buggered, for she then cannot marry.....for now....

"GODDAMMIT WOMAN GET BACK IN THE KITCHEN MAKE ME SOME PIE!!"

This thread has made my day. Thank you all.....

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Of course the original misogyny speech got her a lot of press worldwide, and most of it good, so she thought she had a chance of taking another shot before realising it wasnt the right ammo box she was reaching into.

I don't think she did at all. The (internal polling showed that the) misogyny speech hit home, so the party (faceless men?) tried to do it again. Because it wasn't genuine this time, it failed. Whether or not JG is a good politician or leader, it's pretty clear she's a terrible actress.

That'd be the 1850's (actually, maybe it is just the 50's). Surely we're long past judging people for whom they wish to live with.

Fragile is right, my uncle is an exploration driller for the big companies, he has lost 20 million worth of work because of the mining tax. On top of this he has a brand new 18 million dollar rig sitting in a shed not being used because of it. Now he isn't one of the rich...he was just a working class LABOR voter who ventured out on his own and will now forever not vote them again as they have single handedly ####ed his business. It is the flow on that is the problem...

That had nothing to do with the levelling off of demand from China?

With the exception of the coal and gas, the minerals are going to come out of the ground at some point. They're not going anywhere. You can argue whether their present day value is greater than their future value but they are always going to be of value at some point in time. There are good reasons to want to spread the extraction process out over time.

...if renewable were viable THEY WOULD NOT NEED TAX PAYER FUNDING. Yet we have a government wanting to hand out hundreds of millions in grants due to banks not wanting to fund start ups they see as failures.

Except if you take into account the full cost of fossil fuels then renewables look like the best, maybe only, option. Wind is cost effective at the point of generation right now, even without the Carbon tax or subsidies.

The problem with the whole thing is the uncertainty around the regulation. A LNP government has committed to altering the market and it looks like they will be elected. Leave a Carbon price in place and the investment goes to and stays where it should.

It's worth a reminder that we're (the world) still heading towards disaster because we haven't yet decided to do what is required to avoid it. 400ppm (vs 280ppm without us) and still rising. At some point we will get serious about it. We (Australia) do not want to be a country left holding the stranded investment in fossil fuel infrastructure when that occurs.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
It's worth a reminder that we're (the world) still heading towards disaster because we haven't yet decided to do what is required to avoid it. 400ppm (vs 280ppm without us) and still rising. At some point we will get serious about it. We (Australia) do not want to be a country left holding the stranded investment in fossil fuel infrastructure when that occurs.

The problem is that argument is that we have a ready made and uber clean power source in Nuclear which we have categorically ruled out yet sell the fuel overseas with a perfectly clear conscience. Nuclear power plants have a very long gestation period but if we were serious about the whole carbon emissions crap we would be well down the road with several generators to phase in as the older coal fired generators are shut down.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
The problem is that argument is that we have a ready made and uber clean power source in Nuclear which we have categorically ruled out yet sell the fuel overseas with a perfectly clear conscience. Nuclear power plants have a very long gestation period but if we were serious about the whole carbon emissions crap we would be well down the road with several generators to phase in as the older coal fired generators are shut down.

It may not be as viable as you think, especially if everyone decides to do it. The study the article is based on is linked at the bottom.
The Coming Nuclear Crisis | MIT Technology Review

edit: Some more food for thought.
http://phys.org/news/2011-05-nuclear-power-world-energy.html

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
It may not be as viable as you think, especially if everyone decides to do it. The study the article is based on is linked at the bottom.
The Coming Nuclear Crisis | MIT Technology Review

Indeed, Uranium is, like fossil fuels, finite. There are ample amounts of coal. Oil is still here but only for a few more decades. Interestingly, phosphorus is likely to be largely depleted by 2030; suggesting we may have to go for an organic food system. If you rely on a finite fuel source, it will come to bite you in th behind in a few years time....