Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Nobody will ever know but 80 or so years of heavy manufacturing by Holden at Fishermans Bend will be clazy expensive to clean up.

I think they already had issues with that at the old Woodville site due to them plating all those bumpers. Heavy metals in the soil.

Its probably not that fair to do retrospectively (i.e. foot entire bill) but GMH should probably contribute something. The main issues would be heavy metals - chrome plating. Most of last 60 yrs Fishermans bend has just built engines - not much plating?

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
I think they already had issues with that at the old Woodville site due to them plating all those bumpers. Heavy metals in the soil.

Its probably not that fair to do retrospectively (i.e. foot entire bill) but GMH should probably contribute something. The main issues would be heavy metals - chrome plating. Most of last 60 yrs Fishermans bend has just built engines - not much plating?

Mainly hexavalent chromium around plating areas. Possibly other metals, acid etc. Likelyhood of hydrocarbons around engine building areas. Possibly some metals as well.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

If GM followed environment guidelines set down by govt at the time why should they pay anything?

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
If GM followed environment guidelines set down by govt at the time why should they pay anything?

As long as any historical contamination is not leaving the site it will not normally become an issue until there is a change of use of the site eg if the area was redeveloped to residential it would need to be cleaned up to a higher standard than if it was commercial or industrial. The likely cost to GM if they were to sell the site would be that they would receive a lower price for it than if it was uncontaminated and any developer would have to remediate it to a standard suitable for its proposed use.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Well this guys summarized it pretty well.... he sure goes off the rails on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Well this guys summarized it pretty well.... he sure goes off the rails on this one.

Yep....though in Australia it isn't 'as' obvious. In NSW at state level ICAC sorts things out like this to a degree.

Now if only we could have an ICAC type thing that worked at the federal level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Time to share this again...

A young woman was about to finish her first year of university. Like so many others her age, she considered herself to be a very strong ALP supporter, and among other ALP ideals, was very much in favour of higher taxes to support more government programs, in other words, redistribution of wealth.

She was deeply ashamed that her father was a rather staunch Liberal supporter, a feeling she openly expressed. Based on the lectures that she had participated in, and the occasional chat with a professor, she felt that her father had for years harboured an evil, selfish desire to keep what he thought should be his.

One day she was challenging her father on his opposition to higher taxes on the rich and the need for more government programs. The self-professed objectivity proclaimed by her professors had to be the truth and she indicated so to her father. He responded by asking how she was doing in school.

Taken aback, she answered rather haughtily that she had only earned Distinctions or High Distinctions, and let him know that it was tough to maintain, insisting that she was taking a very difficult course load and was constantly studying, which left her no time to go out and party like other people she knew. She didn't even have time for a boyfriend, and didn't really have many college friends because she spent all her time studying.

Her father listened and then asked, 'How is your friend Audrey doing?' She replied, 'Audrey is barely getting by. All she takes are easy classes, she never studies, and she can barely get a Credit. She mostly just gets passes. She is so popular on campus; college for her is a blast. She's always invited to all the parties and lots of times she doesn't even show up for classes because she's too hung over.'

Her wise father asked his daughter, 'Why don't you go to the Dean's office and ask him to lower one of your High Distinctions to a Distinction and raise one of Audrey's Credits to a Distinction. That way you will both have a Distinction and certainly that would be a fair and equal distribution of grades.'

The daughter, visibly shocked by her father's suggestion, angrily fired back, 'That's a crazy idea, how would that be fair! I've worked really hard for my grades! I've invested a lot of time, and a lot of hard work! Audrey has done next to nothing toward her degree. She played while I worked my tail off!'

The father slowly smiled, winked and said gently, 'Welcome to the conservative's philosophy.'

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
And time to share this again too... Especially with all the ####ing morons who have no clue about how GOOD it is to lower the taxes business pay.

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this…

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing. The fifth would pay $1. The sixth would pay $3. The seventh would pay $7. The eighth would pay $12. The ninth would pay $18. The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that’s what they decided to do.

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve ball. “Since you are all such good customers,” he said, “I’m going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20”. Drinks for the ten men would now cost just $80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes. So the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men ? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?

They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody’s share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man’s bill by a higher percentage the poorer he was, to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using, and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that each should now pay.

And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% saving). The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33% saving). The seventh now paid $5 instead of $7 (28% saving). The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% saving). The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% saving). The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% saving).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings.

“I only got a dollar out of the $20 saving,” declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man,”but he got $10!”

“Yeah, that’s right,” exclaimed the fifth man. “I only saved a dollar too. It’s unfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!” “That’s true!” shouted the seventh man. “Why should he get $10 back, when I got only $2? The wealthy get all the breaks!”

“Wait a minute,” yelled the first four men in unison, “we didn’t get anything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!”

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn’t show up for drinks so the nine sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn’t have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and government ministers, is how our tax system works. The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
And who supported the politicians that wrote the tax laws?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
It's interesting that this thread has been so dormant lately despite recent developments regarding the budget and the election.

We were told the budget would hold few surprises and no pork barrelling, but does anybody feel that it missed the mark anywhere? The fact that the intermediate tax rate commencement point was raised from 80k to 87k seems to have pissed a lot of people off and I've been amused by people on the lowest rates complaining that people on 80k are "wealthy". It sure never felt that way when I was earning around that a few years back, so I doubt that it's any better these days.

Has this given the Opposition the ammunition it needs to continue the "politics of envy" that Gillard used so much, or is it just sour grapes?

And how do you feel about the recent commitment to spending 50 billion on subs?