Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
what's your point?
it just seems we are now paying for search and rescues in Indonesian waters.
it has nothing to do with turning boats back

You do realise this is due to the ALP's policies right?

A "rescue" call was made, our ships responded. This has been happening non stop for the last 6 years...

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
except it was done under a protocol setup by the previous government

the boat made the distress call inside Indonesian waters. what would have happened if it was 40ks from Christmas island? where would they have been taken?

What is the point your are trying to make with this question? The answer is obvious - if rescued 40kms from C/I, that's where they would have been taken. So why ask?

There are two really annoying points about this, and other rescues that have taken place in recent times. The first is the fact that the vessels are so overloaded, or in such poor condition, that they can't even get more than 40kms out to sea before they start to sink. The second point is that our navy is rescuing Indonesian vessels in Indonesian Territorial waters. Where the hell are the Indonesian Naval or coastal patrol vessels when all this is going on?

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
What is the point your are trying to make with this question? The answer is obvious - if rescued 40kms from C/I, that's where they would have been taken. So why ask?

There are two really annoying points about this, and other rescues that have taken place in recent times. The first is the fact that the vessels are so overloaded, or in such poor condition, that they can't even get more than 40kms out to sea before they start to sink. The second point is that our navy is rescuing Indonesian vessels in Indonesian Territorial waters. Where the hell are the Indonesian Naval or coastal patrol vessels when all this is going on?

Not giving a crap because they don't want to solve the people smuggling issue.

I'm sure there are a few government officials who are getting perks by ensuring Indonesian military vessels play dumb.

I like how the Indonesian stance is "This is not something that the new government can solve itself, we have to work together or else", yet when it comes down to it, they don't even make an attempt to intercept or prevent vessels leaving AND are more than happy making threats of diplomatic consequences when we are pumping our money into their country as Aid.

How's this for an idea, withhold aid from Indonesia, or halve it, until the actually contribute to resolving this issue.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon

sorry, thought it was straight forward, I should have quoted who I was replyingto ... nothing different would have been done under either government. so minux, making the point that the current governments policies were under way is neither here nor there.

I totally agree, these vessels should have never left port, and Indonesia to totally to blame and are responsible for letting these people leave port.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Joe needs to be very careful when he keeps citing these figures. We all know that the ALP's budget figures under Swann were a screw up, but he's gone and it's Joe's baby now. I don't think we need reminding how poorly Swann did his job - the Coalition was voted in, partly, because it claimed to have a better idea of how to run an economy. We know they have inherited a mess. Now, stop carping about the stuff ups and get on with fixing them. The public has had enough sniping between the two parties and won't put up with much more now that the Libs are in.

(Having said that, I'm willing to bet that we haven't heard the last of this yet.):)

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
regarding Treasury - for years, we have been given an Annual Budget, and several revisions thereof.
Under SWANN, budgeted surpluses became, in reality, deficits.
I hold K.RUDD, GILLARD, & SWANN responsible for much of this, but at the end of the day, they, and the new Government, rely on calculations done by Treasury.
At this late stage, I think it's safe to say that Treasury has not served us well.
Unless there is a clean sweep of Treasury, it is difficult to see how the situation might improve.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
regarding Treasury - for years, we have been given an Annual Budget, and several revisions thereof.
Under SWANN, budgeted surpluses became, in reality, deficits.
I hold K.RUDD, GILLARD, & SWANN responsible for much of this, but at the end of the day, they, and the new Government, rely on calculations done by Treasury.
At this late stage, I think it's safe to say that Treasury has not served us well.
Unless there is a clean sweep of Treasury, it is difficult to see how the situation might improve.

That is where I see the problem is. No doubt about it - Treasury hasn't served us well however as the executive in charge, and the guy that looks like a goose when it goes wrong, surely the Treasurer would see if what he is being told passed the bullshit test.

Nearly every company executive and manager in the world relies on data presented to them by others. I do from a range of people - my production manager, accountant, sales guys, engineers and a variety of people outside the organization. I, and near every competent manager will look at the information presented and then cast my nose over it to see if it makes sense and is 1/2 credible. For example - I haven't been near production for days with my only contact being the daily reports that I half look at every morning. Morning 1 they say they are starting a huge job that is likely to take a few days. Morning 2 I get a report saying it's 80% done. Hmmmm - it may be the case but I'll flag that for investigation to validate the data further. It's a very simplistic example and most of my real life ones are significantly more complex but it illustrates my point. Unfortunately in many cases I suspect the previous government just ran with what it was told only for egg on it's face shortly down the road. Note that there are several notable examples of that happening in the Howard years as well (Children overboard for one).

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Overseas politics - US govt in shutdown. Debt ceiling issues in next few weeks.

Thoughts?

My understanding with the shut-down is that some Tea-Party type people are unhappy about a couple of things (e.g. Obamacare), and have taken their bat and ball and gone home.
As for debt ceiling - on one hand if it isn't lifted federal US funding would need to be slashed by 32% across the board; this could have grave impacts for US security and economy (and ultimately ours). OTOH if you have a debt situation that for decades has been spiralling out of control, maybe it could be refreshing for the US to have a good look at how it taxes, and how it spends money. My understanding is that taxation levels in US are very much on the lowish side, and their spending on things like defence is ludicrous (apparently the US spends as much on its defence as the next 14 countries...combined...)

monkeys437

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Stato l67
I can't believe the opposition to Obamacare. The health reform sounds like just a very basic version of what the rest of the developed world already has and the Republicans are going on like it's some communist conspiracy.

On the debt ceiling, the situation now will probably cause a rethink in taxation and spending. I remember reading the cost of the Iraq war alone was around $1 trillion, and the Afghanistan and other conflicts and military spending definitely look to be bleeding them dry. Short term they surely have to raise the debt ceiling or risk crashing the world's economy again but longer term I'd hope the spend more on hospitals and less on defence