Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
Did you look at the 1st graph which is as good as current - plummets with a bit of a rally due to distrust of the ALP (all I can put it down to) before it continues it's swan drive.

Relentless down overall, yep. The future will show if this a good thing. I'll sit on the fence as I think we need unions, I don't think it will be good in the long run without them, but I'm willing to watch what happens.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
I attended my first union meeting as fully salaried worker yesterday arvo (after work...). LOL. Making reaper etc proud :D

But seriously, I think 95% of public teachers belong to NSWTF, they are pretty sedate these days. Mainly negotiating EBAs etc. not much industrial action happening. Rightfully so, NSW budget isn't that great and trying to push for too much would not be palatable.

There are other various non-industrial action perks that go with membership. Various forms of legit training and professional development (that all teachers need to do), retail offers, etc.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I attended my first union meeting as fully salaried worker yesterday arvo (after work...). LOL. Making reaper etc proud :D

But seriously, I think 95% of public teachers belong to NSWTF, they are pretty sedate these days. Mainly negotiating EBAs etc. not much industrial action happening. Rightfully so, NSW budget isn't that great and trying to push for too much would not be palatable.

There are other various non-industrial action perks that go with membership. Various forms of legit training and professional development (that all teachers need to do), retail offers, etc.

TBH I'm fine with most of that. Individual contracts for big collective groups like Teachers, Fire fighters etc etc just doesn't make sense. Some of the union health funds are also great value too.

vr94ss

walks barefoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS '94/Subi B4 TT '01
TBH I'm fine with most of that. Individual contracts for big collective groups like Teachers, Fire fighters etc etc just doesn't make sense. Some of the union health funds are also great value too.

Being in and supporting a collective is always better value than being isolated. That is the real basis of society... family, tribe, etc looking after their own.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline

As a teacher you should be in the union, for one reason only, when that feral child stabs you or you are accused of something you did not do, they will cough up the coin to defend you. Out of the 50+ teachers I know, I would say 40 of them are int he union for that reason only.

Just on unemployment, how can the government continue to allow 250,000 people into this country each year? With no new jobs being created, surely it is time we lock the gates and say no more to all immigrants legal or illegal until the country can gather itself again? Cease all foreign aid and start supporting people & business here. It seems ludicrous that we allow so many people in and pay so much to overseas countries yet our own country is flailing.

A good read from (lefty approved media rag) The Age:

Lax immigration policy hurting Australian job seekers

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
As a teacher you should be in the union, for one reason only, when that feral child stabs you or you are accused of something you did not do, they will cough up the coin to defend you. Out of the 50+ teachers I know, I would say 40 of them are int he union for that reason only.

Yep. Same goes for a lot of industries. I know train drivers who are in the union ONLY in case they need defending in court. Same goes for Air Traffic Controllers and their union. It's sad protections aren't automatic and they have to waste money on union membership to be covered.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I worked alongside NSW police for many years. The level of unionism amongst police must go very close to 100% - I can't recall ever speaking to an officer who wasn't a union member. Government authorities generally have very high rates of union membership and I recall reading some months ago that public sector employees across Australia make up the majority of union membership.

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
Iraq crisis: Abbott considering emergency refugee intake | SBS News
The Australian government says it is considering offering protection to Christians being targetted by Islamic insurgents in northern Iraq.

A spokesman for Immigration Minister Scott Morrison told SBS 4000 places have been made available in Australia's special humanitarian program for refugees offshore.

The spokesman said the government is keeping a close watch on the situation in Iraq and Syria and will consider offering protection as part of its emergency response.

The developments coincide with a call for an emergency intake of refugees from the Greens.

Deputy leader Adam Bandt said the Coalition must also rule out sending any Iraqi asylum seekers or refugees in detention back to Iraq.

Fantastic. Hopefully it's a lot more than 4000.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
Clive Palmer accuses Tony Abbott of ''deserting'' Australians during budget crisis

And this guy ranks highly on the ####tard scale as well. The fat ####er is equally incompetent and has nothing useful to contribute other than show-boating.

He's upset that Abbott is dealing with a international and very personally sensitive matter and has left the Treasurer to deal with the budget?

Get the #### out of town? How dare he leave the person responsible for the budget in charge of getting it sorted out.

Probably got upset that the media nor Abbott hasn't been paying him much attention and has thrown the toys out of the pram.