Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
what is the Myki system?

I think it's like what we've have had here in WA on our public transport system since 2004. a card that you put money on, tag it on at the start of your trip on public transport then tag it off where you get off and it deducts the fare based on distance travelled.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Not often the rusted ons will admit their team sucked. It's always someone else's fault. When it comes to the NSW State elections I wonder how many rusted ons will forgive, what is it now, 12 lost through corruption? Their team is never at fault , never would they lose because the public thought they sucked, it's

just not possible, I mean, look at the alternative. End of the world right there. Yes you can point that at both side's cheerleaders.

In NSW the alternative premier is Robertson who has a public image even worse than Abbott. How labor can hope to win with him is beyond me. The liberals corruption issues mainly related to electoral matters whereas the corruption with labor was prolonged and endemic and appears to have been criminal in numerous cases

. Labor was seriously corrupt and the cases haven't closed yet. The liberals were just plain stupid on a large scale but I can't recall any of them being indictable.

Last edited:

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
Not often the rusted ons will admit their team sucked. It's always someone else's fault. When it comes to the NSW State elections I wonder how many rusted ons will forgive, what is it now, 12 lost through corruption? Their team is never at fault , never would they lose because the public thought they sucked, it's just not possible, I mean, look at the alternative. End of the world right there. Yes you can point that at both side's cheerleaders.

I think youll find myself and Calaber both leveled some blame at the State Governments. I said the first premier was useless as did Calaber who was willing to vote for someone else. So we arent blinkers on beating the same drum as some other people here. We can admit when something smells off.

what is the Myki system?

So Myki is a card, similar to the WA Transport system ticking, where you touch on and off like a credit card/paypass. You top it up as you go along and job done.

However, Victoria had three options, purchase the system directly from Singapore. The system in use in London. Or take up a new license and do it themselves.

They took option 3. Which cost in the end almost 6 times what it would cost to simply copy the London or Singapore Myki systems over.

When it "launched" people could not touch on. They could not top up. The top up machines were always out of order. The machines would eat your money, or theyd overcharge your credit card. You name it it went wrong.

Then people started getting fined left right and center. People getting fined for not having valid passes although you were not able to top up was a good one. It wasnt untill recently that Bus's were able to take cash to top up. If you did not have enough virtual money you could not get on the bus, youd have to walk to top up somewhere (which at the time was generally your destination in the first place - the train station).

It was the biggest ####ing shambles.

Then the Desal plant was finished and didnt produce any water.

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Sounds like the same system that queensland has called "go card" i think it was similar pronlems when first launched.

On another note you were saying about state elections being seperate to federal elections.
Qld has its state elections next year and the newman government has been polling abysmally but they are laying the blame for that squarely on the abbott governments budget woes.
Their shiity performance as a government ovef the last 2 1/2 years has nothing to do with it according to them. Go figure

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Sounds like the same system that queensland has called "go card" i think it was similar pronlems when first launched.
So if WA and QLD had similar systems in place why not adopt their system that has all the bugs ironed out?

Because Labor!

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
So if WA and QLD had similar systems in place why not adopt their system that has all the bugs ironed out?

Because Labor!

Obviously they think that they can out waste the other.
Doesnt matter who they're all in a race for the bottom

gopher

Reaction score
Members Ride
Car
Qlds grand solution to the problem was to charge double for paper tickets even though the go card thing wasn't working properly

And dont worry we have our own non working desal plant as well.
But that has been forgotten about.
People these days up here seem more concerned about human right breaches, environmental vandalism by the government, cost of living, unemployment and so forth.
All of which are getting worse daily but seem to be getting worse with an election coming up in about 4 months time

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
What is it with white elephant desal plants? Adelaides got one too. How are you guys off for wind turbines, want some of ours next door? Theyre not cheap though.

Isaac

Cool Guy
Reaction score
Melbourne, Victoria/Lyndoch, South Australia
Members Ride
D22 Navara
voted-for-kodos.png

If you looked at a lot of the comments from people on various newspaper articles. A lot of people are aiming this vote at Tony Abbott. This was not a vote against Federal Liberal, rather than State. Which fine, Federal Liberals is on the nose, take it out on them in 2 years time, dont reelect the very crooks Victoria threw out of Parliament years ago with such ferocity.

I was extremely angry with Labor here because they actively campaigned appealing to FEDERAL ISSUES. They mentioned on numerous occasions "Are you upset about GP Tax, Petrol Tax etc" which are FEDERAL issues where Dan Andrews has zero power. It felt like this election was Daniel Andrews v Tony Abbott. They blatantly lied.

Completely agree, this is what annoys me too. Things like Labor putting up posters of Abbott's face at every polling station and that commercial where Tony's and Denis' face merge really grind my gears, and no doubt would've made a difference in the way people voted, although it can't and shouldn't be used as an excuse for out-going party.

Something else that pissed me off was the paramedics using their Ambulances as mobile billboards against the Libs. I even saw some outside polling stations, don't they have work to do? Labor says that one of their first acts of power is to settle the Ambos EBA dispute, I'm very interested to see how they go about this, seeing as the Libs had basically given all their was to give.

I also really hope that Labor will recant it's decision and go ahead with the East-West link, because it does need to be built. All in all, whilst I didn't vote for them, I'm going to give the new government and Dan a chance, I agree with the majority of their policies, if they can deliver them within budget and stand up to the CFMEU when it tries to stong arm government, then who knows who'll I vote for next time.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
NSW won't see a change of government for another two elections at the earliest. Libs are still riding high and Baird is very popular. While O'Farrell led the party, no progress took place at all and even O'Farrell fell over because of his "poor memory" after appearing at the Independent Commission Against Corruption. (ICAC).

His replacement, Baird, enjoys a very high level of public support in this state and even though a large number of his party were involved in improper practices during the last state elections, it hasn't affected Baird's popularity because he wasn't involved and is a "clean-skin". He has also demonstrated a determination to get the infrastructure in this state sorted out, which is exactly what the electorate wants.

Baird's biggest problem is that to finance the improvements, he needs to sell off the electrical generation network. He has said that he won't do so without a mandate from the electorate, which he intends to obtain via the next state election in March 2015. Today, the Shooters and Fishers party, who control the upper house, have indicated that they will oppose the sell-off.

This is what really shits me. This state is so run down after years of utter neglect by Liberal and Labor governments that only a huge injection of funds can get things underway again. Borrowing the sort of money involved in beyond the state's capacity, so how do these people (I'm being selective here because I know certain members of the forum support the Shooters and Fishers Party) ever expect NSW to fix itself if they keep putting roadblocks in front of the government? The previous Labor government tried to sell the poles and wires but the unions, lead by Robertson, and helped by O'Farrell who played political games at the time, stopped it from happening. Ten years later and we are still playing this stupid game and the state is suffering badly, all because the unions are worried about their mates in the electrical trades losing their jobs, or because the Labor Party's scare campaign about huge increases in energy costs has them spooked.

If these idiots can't see beyond the next election and are so worried about holding onto their seats at that election, they typify so many Australian politicians who put themselves ahead of the country. Gutless, selfish bastards.

Last edited: