Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
should have been built. it is needed.
also need a link from the eastern/eastlink to ring road.

should also have a ring train so you don't need to go into the city to then go out of the city.
example: you live in Bundoora and work in Werribee. need to go in and out of city to get there. where the ring road is would be a good distance out.
could also have it link up with the airport, so kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
The people who dont want the road built are a) inner city hipsters aka The Greens Voters aka Arts Degree experts who dont need to travel anywhere for work anyway b) people who are being relocated which fair enough would suck and c) rusted on anti road movementeers.

We need public transport here desperately. Underground is the only way to expand in Melbourne..

you forgot the rest of the state's voters who don't live in Melbourne and who won't get any use out of it. the whole state doesn't consist of Melbourne alone. quite clearly the ones who want it are in the minority here and consist of the motorists who enjoy driving everywhere.

here in Perth we tried building more roads to fix our congestion problems and it just does not work. if you want to fix congestion you need to get people out of their cars and onto public transport. building more roads encourages people to drive more. generally speaking (over here), we always whinge about traffic congestion and that the money we are spending on roads (widening of the kwinana freeway south and then again on the mitchell freeway north for example) is a waste. most mornings, 4 lanes of traffic heading into the city from north and south and another 3 lanes heading in from the south east (all major freeways) come to a standstill and then do so again heading out in the afternoon.

the trains here are packed to the limit and there isn't enough of them either. and to top that off people even need to pay to park their cars at all train stations and then pay again to get a ticket to get on the train.

although it's a result of the rapid growth of our city and what we have not being able to cope. we're projected to have more people than Brisbane in another 15 years and in another 30 years after that we're projected to be at about 5.5 million and right now we're at about 2 million. so basically we need to more double our infrastructure in 40 years with almost no help from canberra.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
you forgot the rest of the state's voters who don't live in Melbourne and who won't get any use out of it. the whole state doesn't consist of Melbourne alone. quite clearly the ones who want it are in the minority here and consist of the motorists who enjoy driving everywhere.

Yep. I don't live anywhere near it and will have little prospect of needing it any time in the foreseeable future. I can see the forest for the trees though and anybody with 1/2 an ounce of common sense and knowledge of Melbourne roads acknowledges it's needed badly.

here in Perth we tried building more roads to fix our congestion problems and it just does not work. if you want to fix congestion you need to get people out of their cars and onto public transport. building more roads encourages people to drive more. generally speaking (over here), we always whinge about traffic congestion and that the money we are spending on roads (widening of the kwinana freeway south and then again on the mitchell freeway north for example) is a waste. most mornings, 4 lanes of traffic heading into the city from north and south and another 3 lanes heading in from the south east (all major freeways) come to a standstill and then do so again heading out in the afternoon.

Cool story bro. Good luck filling your bus with goods 'n **** getting it from the west to the eastern suburbs. Same with trades etc putting tools 'n **** in the train heading out to site for the day. :rolleyes:

the trains here are packed to the limit and there isn't enough of them either. and to top that off people even need to pay to park their cars at all train stations and then pay again to get a ticket to get on the train.

Same here. Both sides had committed to building both more rolling stock and track.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
As someone who lives out in the suburbs I'd barely benefit from the road being made. That said it is a needed piece of infrastructure and as a taxpayer I would much rather my money be spent on a road that will actually benefit people. What we're getting is a big sum of money being paid for no benefit to anyone at all, its just such a waste. This isn't so much that road is the cure for all congestion its certainly not. But something that could lighten the load even a bit has got to be better than money in a hole for nothing.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon

The election was essentially decieded on the back of preferences which came from the Inner City seats.

Before the election there was actually a strong majority who wanted the road built. The other option is to throw half a billion in the bin as well as can the Liberals Airport Rail and vote for a party who promised an alternative however has not budgeted one.

Apart from that, if youre keeping up with the recent board sackings and appointments, this Labor government has returned to the Jobs for Mates policy.

Victoria is not in a good way right now.

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
Good luck filling your bus with goods 'n **** getting it from the west to the eastern suburbs. Same with trades etc putting tools 'n **** in the train heading out to site for the day. :rolleyes:

obviously people who need to use the road for will. but the office folk or those who work in the city and other commuters most would gladly use public transport. that alone *should* remove a large chunk of commuters from the road.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
obviously people who need to use the road for will. but the office folk or those who work in the city and other commuters most would gladly use public transport. that alone *should* remove a large chunk of commuters from the road.

This road never was intended to, nor would ever be a conduit for people heading to their offices in the city. Ever spent any time in Melbourne?? The inner suburbs, particularly to the north is saturated with rail, tram and buses to service the public as you have described. Also note that there have been a steady stream of new rolling stock being fed into the network (both trains and trams) over the last 15 years under governments of both persuasions along with a commitment from both sides to keep the same happening into the future. You have fallen from the std leftie bullshit of an 'either/or' proposition. The tunnel was nothing of the sort.

Grennan

Slayer of Stupid Threads
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV G8 Sportswagon

Thats fantastic.

Public Transport IS needed.

However, a road is ~5 years away. Rail is much longer.

The Liberal Govt had plans and budgeted for North Expansion of the rail towards the Airport.

In exchange we have Labor who has no plans only pipe dreams.

We need relief NOW. This road would have taken ALL commute traffic OFF the 1 lane bottle neck in the Northern Suburbs. East Freeway goes from 5 lanes to ONE. ONE LANE. Which goes through suburban streets to link with the West. It was also to provide relief for those heading from the docks out to the suburbs.

Ray Charles can see the need for this. It was intended to help relief much strain on the arterial roads, taking heavy transport off suburban streets whilst providing relief whilst some rail was built.

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L

I am one of the 'office folk' you reference. There is NFW I would 'gladly' use public transport.

For 6 years I did that and it was bloody torture. In my new role I have a packaged parking spot. You will never again see me use public transport.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I never said it was a good idea
I was merely asking how Victorians felt about it as they were the ones to give this guy the top job knowing before hand he was going to do this

OK. Hypothetical question then. You love Labor so much, would YOU have voted for Andrews if you were a Victorian, knowing he planned to do this?