Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I worked with a carpenter from Florida a few years back in Brisbane. He was the first carpenter I had ever worked with from the States. Our income far exceeded what he would have earned in Florida. However he had been paying $50 dollars a week for a nice unit back home so the comparison was not relevant in that regard anyway. I also understand that carpenters in the Northern States wages are far higher due to being unionised.
In the 80's I met a union organiser from the construction industry from USA in New Zealand. At that stage a carpenter in New Zealand would have been on about $11 an hour. He didn't tell me what part of the States he came from but he did tell me that where he came from a carpenter was on $28 an hour. At that stage a New Zealand dollar was worth half what their dollar was. Our national secretary told me when I mentioned it that a carpenter in the Southern States would have been getting $6 per hour and that was because they were non unionised.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
I worked with a carpenter from Florida a few years back in Brisbane. He was the first carpenter I had ever worked with from the States. Our income far exceeded what he would have earned in Florida. However he had been paying $50 dollars a week for a nice unit back home so the comparison was not relevant in that regard anyway. I also understand that carpenters in the Northern States wages are far higher due to being unionised.
In the 80's I met a union organiser from the construction industry from USA in New Zealand. At that stage a carpenter in New Zealand would have been on about $11 an hour. He didn't tell me what part of the States he came from but he did tell me that where he came from a carpenter was on $28 an hour. At that stage a New Zealand dollar was worth half what their dollar was. Our national secretary told me when I mentioned it that a carpenter in the Southern States would have been getting $6 per hour and that was because they were non unionised.

The US is somewhat diverse when it comes to labor. On the mid states, there are more Do-Yourself kind of people, there is always a neighbor, a friend or a relative that will lend a hand and knows how. The labor is more concentrated to the commercial part and I have no idea on how much they make, but I can tell is a decent pay, enough to get you buy. Northern States and far west like California are more regulated to keep the Do-Yourself kind of person away from the work. When you look about living cost, the middle states are cheaper to live compared to the others. On these mid states, if you are a great carpenter you will be making a great living. We (mid states) reward for quality work but hate (like anybody would) to be forced to pay top dollars for crappy work. As I said before (other posts), the US 50 States are like smaller semi-independent nations, their Governors have a lot of power, they can Close or Open their states (pandemic), is not the President's job (10th Amendment). So if they want to regulate the states with an iron fist, sure, is their choice and you see what is going on in the state of Virginia, Vermont, Massachusetts, Wisconsin, Maryland, New York and California.

The Interstate Commerce Clause, in an nutshell, prevent the States from competing with each other by tariff, taxes, fees, etc. That is why you see states with higher taxes than others. Instead of charging other states for goods and services to fund their programs, they turn that expense to their own people.

When it comes from migrant cheap labor is like having a competing union fighting for the same jobs, at the end, cheap labor cost always win and we all loose because of lower standard of living.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Mate, America is far cheaper than Australia prices that's why Aussies buy on line as its cheaper to buy outside of their own country, when Australia dollar was like buying 80c American I was getting DeWalt tools shipped at half the cost than I would get from my hardware store, to buy say a 12inch subwoofer in America it be like 70-90 for that same product in Australia its like 199-220 to buy. I don't know how much you get in your pay packet in America but Aussies on average take home 700-800 a week half ends up just paying house rent. If we go much higher in cost of living people on low income wont survive so they be left homeless, to get private rent they go on 3rd of your weekly income so for someone who gets 300 a week that's 100 for rent, not to many private homes in Australia for 100 a week well none in that case.

The missus and I make a good living, our taxes still high and we both get taken out the maximum allowed, we do not want to fork out any cash at the end of the year and we always get some back. We were able to save a decent amount of cash and paid our mortgage off, but I was paying $850 a month ($750 + $100 extra for principle), our goal was to get out of debt. Housing, in the US is a mess, they are many ways to finance a house, is a game of "Hot Potato with Musical Chairs". All houses are grossly overpriced for their local economies/neighborhoods.

We get cheap stuff too from overseas, just like you guys and sucking on that titty for a very long time. Here in the US and I think the deal was done with the previous admin, Amazon got a sweet deal, almost 0 cost to deliver via US Postal Service, Tax Payers paying for Amazon deliveries. Sometimes, Fed Ex, UPS, DHL dump their packages at the local Postal Service and the USPS delivers them to their final destinations. Is a huge mess that is gauging the Postal Service and the Gov not caring a bit. Of course, place local business in disadvantage and we all gravitate (because of the loss in Purchasing Power) to seek the bigger bang for our bucks. I try to buy local as much as I can and stay away from the big stores like Walmart but is highly tempting when you see their prices.

Also we have these store called Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar, those used to be the Nickel and Dime stores, they do have the cheapest stuff that you can find, also the cheapest quality. A lot of low income individuals that find Walmart pricey shop on those stores and they are becoming more common now days.

The erosion of standard of living is a slow and gradual shift, that is why nobody notice the change. Is not about how much you get paid, is what can you do with that pay.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Will like to throw this video, perhaps he might be missing some details. What you guys have to say on the matter. All I can say that he has a good analogy on how borrowing from the future never ends well.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Will like to throw this video, perhaps he might be missing some details. What you guys have to say on the matter. All I can say that he has a good analogy on how borrowing from the future never ends well.

Prices cant keep going up forever if they do then the companies will have to pay higher wages so it will never work, at some point something has to happen I don't see companies paying out 2k a week for wages just so people can afford to live. Australia house prices have to burst its bubble, this is why people should never buy a home at ridicules prices, problem with Australia our leaders allow foreign investors to buy up our property and land increasing the prices, places like China cant invest in their own country due to laws in their land due to population levels so they go elsewhere and buy up big instead of investing in super and that, then the people of that country like you and I have to be forced to pay higher prices or higher rent as homes become less available pushing up the market. With this SARS 2 outbreak a lot of things are going to happen with prices of things, no money lower prices for survival even if they come out even, car market are reducing prices, homes be next, food and so on, lower economy lower prices.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
And I am waiting for the car market to crash. I see a new 2500 Duramax in the driveway. Because the market goes to shît, does not mean little people like us can not capitalize on it, same goes for houses.

Makes you wonder... why our politicians are selling out our countries to foreigner interests and screwing their own people, is beyond me. I guess as they are eloquent, know how to tell jokes and look pretty is ok with everybody.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
And I am waiting for the car market to crash. I see a new 2500 Duramax in the driveway. Because the market goes to shît, does not mean little people like us can not capitalize on it, same goes for houses.

Makes you wonder... why our politicians are selling out our countries to foreigner interests and screwing their own people, is beyond me. I guess as they are eloquent, know how to tell jokes and look pretty is ok with everybody.
Its very simple they hold more value over us, if china were to collapse we all be screwed they holding the keys to all the world stock market. The UN is wanting to reserve our resources for the future and push all manufacturing into already farked countries, problem is they get all the wealth and control sending us into slaves to them, just look at the madness with this sars countries are running out of stock due to imports not arriving as countries shut their borders instead of being able to provide for themselves, I can say if a war broke out Australia be farked we only have 30 days of fuel in reserve and about 40-50% of our needs are imported so if they take out our shipping supply we a stuffed. We cant risk having bad terms with China all we be stuffed.

Australia send black coal and iron ore to Asia so they manufacture steel and we have to buy it back in complete form, that's 3x amount of travelling across the seas its madness. We also send them our natural gas for like 3c a litter and we get charged 70-90c P/L.
Politics is evil..

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Australia send black coal and iron ore to Asia so they manufacture steel and we have to buy it back in complete form, that's 3x amount of travelling across the seas its madness. We also send them our natural gas for like 3c a litter and we get charged 70-90c P/L.

So much for Lean Manufacturing practices.

zero_tolerance

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 VFII Redline
Any Victorians here please sign this petition and share with everyone you know...
Daniel Andrews who is without a doubt the worst premier in the history of Victoria, has signed a deal with the China Communist Party effectively handing them access to our infrastructure projects.
This is NOT in the best interests of our state or our country, especially considering the current climate. He was warned against this by the federal government but arrogantly went ahead anyway.
Andrews is nothing more than a communist traitor and a China ass kisser who has completely sold this state out to appease his commie mates. This needs to be investigated!!!
https://www.change.org/p/asio-and-i...dit_var=v2&utm_content=fht-18633962-en-gb:v10