Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
It's going to really tough for those most hard done by in NZ for the next 3 years.

When Covid hit the then government made a real big push to get all the homeless off the streets but the new government needs to cut costs and save money and one way to do that is to cut the emergency housing grants and remove people from emergency housing lists.

Simple.

The same will happen with housing NZ, the number of people needing housing won't drop, just the size of the waiting list as the new government simply make people ineligible for state housing.

Next it will happen with hospital waiting lists, those will magically shrink too, not because they are doing more but because they are knocking people off the lists. We've seen all this before and at the end of the day Luxon will claim it's because if his great economic management aka slash and burn.

UTE042_NZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY17 Magnum Ute
Yep, back to more mums with kids living in vehicles like it was under the Key government. They're also bringing back the right to evict within first 90 days without needing to give reason. All to fund the reestablishment of landlords tax relief on interest, which was abolished by the last government. This three headed monster is ripping up all and any social progress that has been made this century.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Already see a few rough sleepers and beggars around here and that will only get worse. Crime will go up too and it costs a LOT more to put someone in prison than it does a house/accommodation.

Short sighted ignorant fools for government!

But hey, we'll get a tax cut to make it all better!

No cause evictions are bad, as is the 90 day fire at will law. Bad ju-ju al round.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
We need to get rid of career politicians. It’s not in their best interest to do what is right but rather to do what they can to be re-elected to keep their snout in the trough.

I think having term limits for all politicians (like the POTUS has) would probably be a good idea. If you can only serve two terms for example then it wouldn’t be possible to make a career out of being a politician.

Honestly at this point I think we would probably get better outcomes from government if seats were randomly appointed to people kind of like jury duty. Can’t be any worse than the current system that actively does what the people don’t want purely because “it’s the party line” or “because a lobbyist said so”.

Years in office is not so much a big one for me. More over it's their previous experience and track record is top of the list.

This is something the voting public 100% have complete control over as a group. That said it's also far easier said than done. In short for me I'd be looking at candidates who have had a successful career managing business and particularly those who have run small business or grown something from scratch to very successful.

The problem is that most of the really good people are smart enough to stay away from politics.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Nice to see the government has its priorities right. :rolleyes:

How about only awarding government contracts to companies that actually pay their fair share of tax? Too much government money goes to foreign multinationals based in the Cayman Islands, etc for tax purposes and pay zero taxes.

Better still let’s only award government contracts to Australian domiciled companies so A) the money stays here and B) they can’t cheat their tax like multinationals can.

Nope, let’s make government contracts contingent on women not getting paid as much as men. :rolleyes:

https://www.theguardian.com/society...cts-katy-gallagher-national-press-club-speech

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Equality targets of any kind are the ******* worst. It should be the best person/company for the job.
I often complete works for defence contracts, they always ask how many women are employer, indigenous, mature employees, etc

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Equality targets of any kind are the ******* worst. It should be the best person/company for the job.
I often complete works for defence contracts, they always ask how many women are employer, indigenous, mature employees, etc

The problem with a lot of the equality bs is that it’s judging apples and oranges and expecting them to be paid the same or similar.

A lot of the time there’s a valid reason women aren’t paid as much as men. In my own personal circumstances the women are perfectly happy doing the basic customer service type roles and don’t want to know about the technical details of stuff.

There’s zero reason that they couldn’t learn the technical stuff on the job the same as I did but if you try and politely explain/teach the technical stuff to them they don’t want to know about it and will pass the buck to me at the first opportunity, sometimes even on very basic stuff like P&A on a part number purely because it’s in my business area.

I’m sure there are women out there that do want to get into the weeds with things but in my personal experience those women are very rare so trying to push for equality of pay with men when the majority of women probably don’t want to do the technical roles is misguided at best and shitfuckery at worst.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The problem with a lot of the equality bs is that it’s judging apples and oranges and expecting them to be paid the same or similar.

A lot of the time there’s a valid reason women aren’t paid as much as men. In my own personal circumstances the women are perfectly happy doing the basic customer service type roles and don’t want to know about the technical details of stuff.

There’s zero reason that they couldn’t learn the technical stuff on the job the same as I did but if you try and politely explain/teach the technical stuff to them they don’t want to know about it and will pass the buck to me at the first opportunity, sometimes even on very basic stuff like P&A on a part number purely because it’s in my business area.

I’m sure there are women out there that do want to get into the weeds with things but in my personal experience those women are very rare so trying to push for equality of pay with men when the majority of women probably don’t want to do the technical roles is misguided at best and shitfuckery at worst.

That's a big assumption, have you actually asked them?

MY missus has spent 20+ years battling chauvinist males in industry.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
That's a big assumption, have you actually asked them?

MY missus has spent 20+ years battling chauvinist males in industry.

Like I said, I’m talking about my own personal experience. It’s easy to tell when people aren’t interested in learning the technical stuff and/or don’t have the aptitude for it, you don’t need to explicitly ask them.

In fact explicitly asking them can sometimes elicit a false response anyway as they will say yes regardless because they will then think it’s a requirement to learn it to keep their job.

I’ve seen many people come and go in the 20 years I’ve been working for the company I’m at now and the opportunities have been there for anyone who comes along and shows a genuine interest in the job and learning/improvement for themselves and the company (I started off on the warehouse floor and now I’m in product management and purchasing).

It’s quite rare to find someone interested in learning the ins and outs of business area I work in and even rarer if it’s a woman. We had one who was quite good and she had some aptitude and worked her way up to technical sales but she went off and married a pilot and doesn’t work at all now.

MasterOfReality

Miners go deeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
2019 LC Sahara TTDV8, 1991 VP Calais V8
I worked for a mining company (one of world's biggest) where basically if you were a white anglo saxon male, you could pretty much guarantee that your career would stall.

Targeted promotions to increase gender targets, half yearly gender pay gap reviews etc etc. Expressed interest in an internal role and was told its females only and they would only consider males if they really couldn't find anyone for it.

End result is always the same, grossly inexperienced or unqualified people promoted to management or leadership roles. Once they munt that particular department they get transferred somewhere else for another go. However, companies can't or won't accept the fact that in a technical field like engineering, unless there is 50/50 male and female going to uni and completing engineering degrees, this gender diversity bs will never work.

That being said, one of the best graduates I ever had was female. One of the rare ones that did the hard yards before getting promoted.