Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

JC Political Thread - For All Things Political Part 2

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
Yea 10 seconds on google and you have a wiki entry, because we can all take wiki seriously for world affairs.

Do the search yourself. There are heaps of references.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/misinf...es-schools-became-gop-talking-point-rcna51439

Just do the ‘If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck” test on anything that sounds strange or bizarre. Does it really sound like schools would be placing kitty litter in the ‘bathrooms’ for students to **** on? Do you really believe that!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Helps with some, not all. Builders warranties don't last indefinitely and a building built to standard 20 years ago is different to today.

You also get less consumer rights when you buy a new half million dollar house than if you buy a new $20 toaster, so there’s that.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Do the search yourself. There are heaps of references.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/misinf...es-schools-became-gop-talking-point-rcna51439

Just do the ‘If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck” test on anything that sounds strange or bizarre. Does it really sound like schools would be placing kitty litter in the ‘bathrooms’ for students to **** on? Do you really believe that!

Here's one from 2 days ago, it's about a teacher doing it, but please keep your head in the sand and keep posting your fake links.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
So I'm looking forward to the pictures of kitty litter boxes in school toilet blocks.

DavesSV6Tonner

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ S V6 Cab & Chassis
Perhaps stopping the phoenixing of building companies, and some serious penalties for those who have built substandard structures might be a start?

Insurance could work, especially if the insurance company is required to cover major defeats. That way they’d want to see evidence that structure was properly designed and built in the first place before they take on the risk?

Personally, I wouldn’t be buying a strata unless I had to.
In QLD a builder constructing a residential home has to take out Domestic Building Work Home Warranty Insurance with the QBCC (Queensland Building and Construction Commission, formerly the QBSA).
The thousands of $$$$$ in premiums the builder pays to the QBCC is of course recouped from the client.
The builder must warrant his work for 6 years and 5 months. If the builder goes belly up during construction, or a dispute arises between the builder and the client, or a major defect develops (post completion) in the building, the homeowner can claim on the QBCC Home Warranty Insurance.
The QBCC will do everything they can to avoid having to pay out on a warranty claim, it's like trying to get blood out of a stone.
I have heard of people resorting to taking the QBCC to court to try to force them to settle a claim. Some of these battles can run for years whilst people are living in homes that are unfinished or suffering from major defects.

I don't know if the commercial insurance companies could do a better job than the QBCC, I suspect not when you consider there are people adversely affected by natural disasters that are still fighting with their insurer 2, 3 or more years after the event.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The joys of buying a unit! And they wonder why most people don’t want them and will only buy a detached house.

https://www.theguardian.com/austral...f-strata-properties-shocked-by-special-levies

Medium and high rise apartments are a minefield and certainly something I'd avoid like the plague as a buyer

Perhaps stopping the phoenixing of building companies, and some serious penalties for those who have built substandard structures might be a start?

Insurance could work, especially if the insurance company is required to cover major defeats. That way they’d want to see evidence that structure was properly designed and built in the first place before they take on the risk?

Personally, I wouldn’t be buying a strata unless I had to.

Phoenixing a building company isn't very easy these days. To be a building company at least 1 director must be a registered builder. In Victoria and QLD at least, a bankrupt or a person that was a director of a company that went bankrupt cannot remain as a registered builder. This means at the very least, the 'new' company must have another registered builder at the helm.

What is a problem is the developer however. They don't have to be registered anything. Typically the developer forms a company that holds the development, builds and sells it, channels all the profits out, winds up the company and before you know it there is nothing left to sue.

Further, these buildings are often class 2 or 3 buildings of over 4 levels in which case the standard 6 year builders warranty often does not apply. This is one area that should be examined and tightened up by the regulators.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
In QLD a builder constructing a residential home has to take out Domestic Building Work Home Warranty Insurance with the QBCC (Queensland Building and Construction Commission, formerly the QBSA).
The thousands of $$$$$ in premiums the builder pays to the QBCC is of course recouped from the client.
The builder must warrant his work for 6 years and 5 months. If the builder goes belly up during construction, or a dispute arises between the builder and the client, or a major defect develops (post completion) in the building, the homeowner can claim on the QBCC Home Warranty Insurance.
The QBCC will do everything they can to avoid having to pay out on a warranty claim, it's like trying to get blood out of a stone.
I have heard of people resorting to taking the QBCC to court to try to force them to settle a claim. Some of these battles can run for years whilst people are living in homes that are unfinished or suffering from major defects.

I don't know if the commercial insurance companies could do a better job than the QBCC, I suspect not when you consider there are people adversely affected by natural disasters that are still fighting with their insurer 2, 3 or more years after the event.

You don't really have a choice (either builder or consumer) when it comes to DBI. Further, as I posted above, when it comes to medium/high rise apartments =>4 levels DBI often is not required leaving people screwed bigtime

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Medium and high rise apartments are a minefield and certainly something I'd avoid like the plague as a buyer

Phoenixing a building company isn't very easy these days. To be a building company at least 1 director must be a registered builder. In Victoria and QLD at least, a bankrupt or a person that was a director of a company that went bankrupt cannot remain as a registered builder. This means at the very least, the 'new' company must have another registered builder at the helm.

What is a problem is the developer however. They don't have to be registered anything. Typically the developer forms a company that holds the development, builds and sells it, channels all the profits out, winds up the company and before you know it there is nothing left to sue.

Further, these buildings are often class 2 or 3 buildings of over 4 levels in which case the standard 6 year builders warranty often does not apply. This is one area that should be examined and tightened up by the regulators.
Heinrich who would have been the biggest formwork company in QLD have been declared bankrupt. From what I have been told they were kept going by the developers who in effect took over the company. The day prior to them being declared bankrupt they formed a new company called Starcrest Constructions. Heinrich himself cannot be a director but who he gets to run what will in effect still be his company is yet to be seen.

THe CFMEU have been pushing for a long time to have developers registered in QLD. Apparently they were prior to Campbell Newman becoming Premier. I am not up with the play on what sort of success they are having. I might have a chance of finding more on Wednesday at the workers memorial service.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
SCOTUS doing its best to support Trump by dragging its heels when it counts and moving lightning fast when it counts.

Cant believe that even though his lawyers are literally arguing in court that he should be a dictator that is above the law people still seem to think he’s the good guy.

Even if you did believe that Trump is the good guy once the precedent has been set that any future president is immune from the law your rolling the dice with every single occupier of the office after that point.

Any one of those future presidents could go off the rails and become dictator for life and the law couldn’t do anything about it.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
SCOTUS doing its best to support Trump by dragging its heels when it counts and moving lightning fast when it counts.

Cant believe that even though his lawyers are literally arguing in court that he should be a dictator that is above the law people still seem to think he’s the good guy.

Even if you did believe that Trump is the good guy once the precedent has been set that any future president is immune from the law your rolling the dice with every single occupier of the office after that point.

Any one of those future presidents could go off the rails and become dictator for life and the law couldn’t do anything about it.

Interesting watch, if only Robert had such strong convictions while Clinton was paying his wage.