Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VY SS Ute Project (Jimi Hendrix)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
There is some technique using the spatter gun. You want to set it so you don't pull the trigger too far in or you will lay it on too thick. This is mainly a problem if you want the 2 can kit to do the full tub and inside the tailgate.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks @losh1971 that's the advice I'm after. Looks good in white - not sure if I will run with black or tint it the same colour as the paint.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I love the lid locks.
In the crewman, the harness has the wiring for the boot lid lock in it and light in it. They are blanked off at the plug. Mine has the wiring for the release button up to the glovebox.
All relative wires go to the BCM.

No pin out on the BCM for it from preliminary looks. Would be good to modify it, activate the feature on the BCM and have a sedan remote with boot release button.

I have long thought of using Adventra boot rails in the tray. I have some on my eBay watch list. All that has stopped me is the extra hassle of something to remove to get the lights out to change a bulb. With no tray liner though, that’s not an issue. Then again, never being able to secure loads easily would be solved and out weight the extra work needed to access the rear lights.

When you do the nutserts, will you include a bit of thick aluminium plate under it then nutsert it?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
@Fu Manchu

I plan to use something to space and level the rails but haven't settle on what yet. It does sit fairly flat and I expect that once the tow bar is installed it may well even it right out. I plan to overcome the liner issue by using Raptor or something similar and then doing a removable infill carpeted timber floor to bring it up to the level of the rails. Upgrade all the cover screws to nutserts and tidy up the look with stainless socket head screws.

I expect that the connector behind the glovebox where I picked up the constant 12V source is what would have been the boot lock connection. I expect that the BCM is capable of accepting a three button key and has the functionality build it. I am simply going to set the BCM option to lock after whtever speed/delay etc so it lock while I am driving. Will take a bit of getting used to, as does having remote start.

As an aside - wife pulled up the passenger handle as I was trying to unlock it and I ended up having to press the buttons a few times - car tied to start itself while in gear and mounted the curb. Scared the piss out of me! Too much hassle to cut it out so I will live with it but be more cautious in future.

Son 2 has gone to pick up the steel for the relocatable barrier and I will experiment with that next. It is a work in progress and paint will be last thing to be done - after I have finished the rest of the work. We will turn this form a work ute into a rip tearing beast eventually.

I purchased two sets of wagon tie down rails just in case. The second is yours for the postage if you are interested. Postage from the East may be a killer though - it would be coming from Murrumbateman NSW 2582. Check the postage costs and if it works for you send PM the address details and I will make it happen.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Fu Manchu

I plan to use something to space and level the rails but haven't settle on what yet. It does sit fairly flat and I expect that once the tow bar is installed it may well even it right out. I plan to overcome the liner issue by using Raptor or something similar and then doing a removable infill carpeted timber floor to bring it up to the level of the rails. Upgrade all the cover screws to nutserts and tidy up the look with stainless socket head screws.

I expect that the connector behind the glovebox where I picked up the constant 12V source is what would have been the boot lock connection. I expect that the BCM is capable of accepting a three button key and has the functionality build it. I am simply going to set the BCM option to lock after whtever speed/delay etc so it lock while I am driving. Will take a bit of getting used to, as does having remote start.

As an aside - wife pulled up the passenger handle as I was trying to unlock it and I ended up having to press the buttons a few times - car tied to start itself while in gear and mounted the curb. Scared the piss out of me! Too much hassle to cut it out so I will live with it but be more cautious in future.

Son 2 has gone to pick up the steel for the relocatable barrier and I will experiment with that next. It is a work in progress and paint will be last thing to be done - after I have finished the rest of the work. We will turn this form a work ute into a rip tearing beast eventually.

I purchased two sets of wagon tie down rails just in case. The second is yours for the postage if you are interested. Postage from the East may be a killer though - it would be coming from Murrumbateman NSW 2582. Check the postage costs and if it works for you send PM the address details and I will make it happen.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

That would be way cool.

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Lidlok?
https://www.lidlok.com.au/

Also looking for that, I now want one of these for the crewman.
https://www.utemaster.com.au/ute-hard-lid/
Surely they could fab one for the Crewman?
Yes, I used a lLidlok. I contemplated making my own version and then calculated the time and cost to fab it up and it wasn't worth it. A luxury at $450 to save using keys, but they all end up scratched to **** if you do. I use Jimi as a work ute as well so I am constantly in and out of the tub, and I could write it off to the tax man so it was an easy decision in the end.

I looked at that style of hard lid too, but am set on a twin hump lid. Not sure if I will hang out for one to turn up or graft one on the the existing when I add the reverse cowl to the bonnet.

Decisions decisions - if only there was more time!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Reverse cowls make engines run hotter, also increases the under bonnet temps. Just something to consider unless of course you have no choice.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes, was it @Ginger Beer who had issue with increased temps?

Reactions: Lex

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yes, was it @Ginger Beer who had issue with increased temps?
I think so. I also looked into when I had the VR as I was trying to reduce MAT but a scoop no matter which way it faced was not going to help and would likely make it worse.