Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VY SS Ute Project (Jimi Hendrix)

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
They do look cool though.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
What about a VH style and block off the back so it’s cosmetic only?

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Thanks for the heads up guys

I am going to cut a hole in the bonnet. Hot air rises yeah? ... and there is pressure from the front that exits through the bonnet hole. Surely it will be cooler than as it sits with the standard bonnet. Not that it gets real hot with the PWR radiator. I do note that the oil temp goes up, and stays up a while, if I give him a bit of stick.

The real thing for me is it takes me back to my Torana days, and as @Fu Manchu has pointed out it looks cool as!

You guy know I now have to research this to death! What a great Christmas present! :D

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
It gets hotter as it interrupts the air flow. Unfortunately yes you will get heat coming out but you will also end up with hotter temps regardless. Do some research, I did and found out my hopes for lower under bonnet and MAT temps were going to become worse with a bonnet vent no matter which way it faced. I wanted to go one of the wide low ones like you see on a Lux.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Could always go this if you like bonnet humps. :(

1671617992654.png

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Sorry @losh1971

That does not float my boat at all. More like this (except in purple and on a ute). Same Same but different!

VY-VZ-2-INCH.png

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
You are on a hiding to nothing @losh1971. Son 2 told me in no uncertain terms tht he would dis-own me if I ever put a wing on the lid or a chev badge on the front.

Having said that I'm not against it.

A bit of perspective - at the time I was trying to explain a Sandman ute (with no pictures). He didn't get it!

I am more aligned to the Maloo style twin hump lid - not that I dislike what I have. Not sure if I want to follow the twin hump trend, add a wing or keep it as it is (with new paint).

Jimi is evolving! We will just have to see where he ends up.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Reverse cowls are interesting things. I had a reverse cowl on my VH, grp3 style that was closed off from the engine bay except where it was sealed for cold air into the intake system. This works because the bottom of the windscreen is a high pressure area (as I understand it). Having an open reverse cowl straight into the engine bay would mean you have high pressure in front of the radiator pushing air into the engine bay (normal method of cooling) as well as high pressure air at the cowl that is pushing back down into the engine bay which would disrupt the airflow through the engine bay and cause potential cooling issues.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I do like hardlids but for using ute as said ute, I sometimes wish I'd just fit the soft tonneau I have and be done with it. Hard lid looks nice but it takes four of us to remove and refit it if I need to carry a tall load. Took it off once and put it back on. It's really there for looks and maybe some security in a supermarket carpark but that's the only two good points, hahahahaha.