Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jolls VY SS Ute Project (Jimi Hendrix)

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
Reverse cowls are interesting things. I had a reverse cowl on my VH, grp3 style that was closed off from the engine bay except where it was sealed for cold air into the intake system. This works because the bottom of the windscreen is a high pressure area (as I understand it). Having an open reverse cowl straight into the engine bay would mean you have high pressure in front of the radiator pushing air into the engine bay (normal method of cooling) as well as high pressure air at the cowl that is pushing back down into the engine bay which would disrupt the airflow through the engine bay and cause potential cooling issues.
So if ?I just grafted it on for show there would be nothing but an aesthetic upgrade (opinion based of course) but no return on investment from a performance perspective.

Not sure I am liking this option much now. Will have to think about it!

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Didn't the A9X Torries that raced have an open reverse cowl scoop?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’ve had the hardlid off for two weeks and I’m lost without it.

Had our new dishwasher and oven in the back and it had to come off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’ve had the hardlid off for two weeks and I’m lost without it.

Had our new dishwasher and oven in the back and it had to come off.
Do you not have a soft tonneau? I have both but interchanging a soft cover and a hard cover is not a simple task. Not on a VE anyway.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The whole venting the engine bay just doesn’t work unless there is a specific circumstance with it.

In the old days it was to force air into the carby to get higher pressures. The the reverse cowl to get colder air in and they were generally sealed to achieve that.

Modern intakes will grab air from the front and adding a centre scoop can really bugger the air pressure balances and you get poor cooling performance from the radiator.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I wouldn't get around with nothing on the back, which is one of the reasons the hard lid went back on soon as I got back from SA.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Do you not have a soft tonneau? I have both but interchanging a soft cover and a hard cover is not a simple task. Not on a VE anyway.
Yuck. I have three of them but because no one gives a shizzen about quality, all three are shrunken and don’t fit well. Two of them are Tuff Tonneau ones and they say they don’t shrink and they do. I had three shrunken ones and returned the first to them. They sent another and then another. Their product is garbage.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I like this. I like it a lot.
47573AEA-3362-4D41-A50C-E66AAB01DA0A.jpeg

Jolls

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute (Jimi Hendrix)
I have had both - but prefer the hard lid because I carry tools and materials in the back. Jimi is a worker after all!

We remove the lid regularly and drop it on the grass - no problems at all.

The real issue for us is the ability to stop loads moving about and having the ability to tie them down properly. I get around this my using a Hilux or the Ranger with a a service body. But I am keen for Jimi to earn his keep (and I prefer to drive him than either of the Luxes, the Mitsi truck or, heaven forbid, the 04 Ranger. Not sure how we ended up with Ford in the stable - must have been having a bad day at the time!

Adding the Wagon tie down rails and a load barrier will make a huge difference of us work wise.

Cheers n Beers
Jolls

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yuck. I have three of them but because no one gives a shizzen about quality, all three are shrunken and don’t fit well. Two of them are Tuff Tonneau ones and they say they don’t shrink and they do. I had three shrunken ones and returned the first to them. They sent another and then another. Their product is garbage.
I have a brand new factory tonnneau with instructions, in its original bag. I wish there was a way to take the hard lid off and on without needing multiple people and also an easy way to switch to soft and vice-versa but there's not.