Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Jspec Twin throttle body for VR V6

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
I wouldn't pay $5 for that ugly thing.
Why do you need one? Have you reached the limits of the factory manifold?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
Maybe just maybe , if you're running a forced induction set up , perhaps yes , having a twin throttle intake on a stock Buick engine , yeah nah , you can only wring the neck on those so far until .......:bomb: , the throttle will get as touchy as all get out , the idle will probably play up , and the gains not what you'd expect , and a tune will only help so much .

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
That won't do bugger all as all it is is a dodgy plenum and 2 throttle bodies slapped on. The 1000 CFM is just a big number to attract P platers.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
That won't do bugger all as all it is is a dodgy plenum and 2 throttle bodies slapped on. The 1000 CFM is just a big number to attract P platers.

Problem is though , I bet they'll still sell some , Ah P platers , will they ever learn ,:banstick: .

Azwellaz

Kickin' it ole skool
Reaction score
Members Ride
1998 VT SS 5.0
Thanks for all the input lads, i guess i will steer clear of them, my car is just stock atm but am just looking for a little more go, perhaps a bored out single tb? I am also going to remove the black plastic whatchamacallit in the back of the inlet manifold as i have noticed small gains from doing this before on previous cars, haven't bothered with exhaust or anything else just yet as i am indecisive wether to turbo, supercharge or sell and buy something better altogether

Cheers

Super_Low 91

┌∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐
Reaction score
Members Ride
1993 VR
The best mods i done to my old commie was high ratio rockers, larger throttle body an memcal to suit. It made a noticeable difference an in my opinion best bang for buck mods.
Beyond that i wouldn't waste much more money on it an save for something better and worth spending the money on.

(Just my opinion)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
See this thread that popped up recently - http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...-1997/243801-twin-throttle-body-manifold.html

Larger throttle body won't do anything either as the T/B is not a restriction. Gone are the days of restrictive carbies and primitive EFI. T/B change requires a retune anyway.

If you want more go start looking at basic bolt-ons and get a mail order tune to suit. Hit up Delcowizzid or The1 for a tune.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
That eBay number would go sweetly with a twin turbo setup for sure.

It is awesomely funny when people think the airhole is the problem, when it's just that the bangholes make fluff all newtons.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
There are definitely issues with the standard 3800 V6 intake manifolds which changing the position of the TB can solve.

Fitting a bigger TB on a MAP based system does not require a retune. It's the ecotec's that require a retune when fitting a larger TB and then only for the Auto's because it stuffs up the shift patterns but fitting a bigger TB on an ecotec is a good thing because of the extra lump of metal that keeps one side of the butterfly covered up until you reach about 15% opening on the standard TB. This was done specifically to dampen throttle response. So although the ecotec has a 64 mm TB because of the extra metal on one side the mean effective size is closer to 60 mm. So definitely gains to be had by fitting a larger TB, more gains if tuned properly :)

Problem is though , I bet they'll still sell some , Ah P platers , will they ever learn ,:banstick: .

The thing is though, how do you learn? Most learn from making a few mistakes early on (we all did it) and go from there.