Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just a general fuel consumption question

STEEV888

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 200sx.
Also found running your lights all the time looses 100kms to a tank also.

finally somebody else that thinks this.
im not going to agree with your high figures but it definitely drains more fuel
the same thing in my pajero.. turn the lights on and it lags at idle for a sec then returns

faBReGaS

Reaction score
Members Ride
251rwkw VY SS
If your alternator was rebuilt it might be a good idea to get it checked out elsewhere to see if they have installed the right pulley sizes.... Like I said previously the wrong size would work the engine harder causing more fuel consumption. Are you having any battery problems?

bloodyricho

Bloody Richo
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr V6 Equipe (hare) and VE SV6 (tortise)
dudes that think the head lights turn on don't effect fuel economy are IDIOTS! it loads up the alternator! It takes energy to make energy. thats why perpetual motion don't work. Bathurst this year you could hear them on the radios before the last pace car telling the drivers to shut off lights, blower fans etc to conserve FUEL! last time i checked they run these off of the ALNERNATOR not the fuel tank. The consumption is governor by how many amps your alternator is and the load you are putting on it.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Well finally i see im not alone. It may not affect it as much as i said, could just be something that affected it also while we did tests, bad fuel, worse traffic on one day and better the next. just when we each did it we did have a affect on it.

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
dudes that think the head lights turn on don't effect fuel economy are IDIOTS! it loads up the alternator! It takes energy to make energy. thats why perpetual motion don't work. Bathurst this year you could hear them on the radios before the last pace car telling the drivers to shut off lights, blower fans etc to conserve FUEL! last time i checked they run these off of the ALNERNATOR not the fuel tank. The consumption is governor by how many amps your alternator is and the load you are putting on it.

Bit early to be drinking isn't it? Last time I checked we don't drive around in V8 Supercars which use a massive amount of fuel. They also keep track of every last drop. Apples and oranges.

benno9911

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
03 VY S2 Exec
well i really carnt see using head lights drains your fuel we drove from VIC - WA and we where getting the same fuel economy during the day and night that was 850kms a tank and we where using high beams all the time

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Maybe Theres more Light Drag where I live lol
I dunno, interesting one though guys. Nothing points to a fault with the cars so i dunno. Ill just use them when required. Maybe ill get out some candles and use them from now lol

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
ohh jesus.
I'm lost for words.

Turning your lights on doesn't put more load on the engine, the alternator still uses the same amount of energy to produce the same amount of electricity.
The alternator doesn't generate more electricity to support the head lights, it produces a set amount of engergy. Thats why people who have big sounds systems have problems with the headlights diming when they have high levels of loud bass. Because the alternator can't keep up.

The air conditioner on the other hand DOES put extra load on the engine, because when its disengaged the electronic clutch free spins with next to no resistance. When you turn it on though the clutch engages and turns the compressor. Even the air con doesn't sap 50/100km worth of fuel, I don't think they've ever been worth that much fuel. Not even the big 3tonne compressors out of a HQ.

The whole Idea that head lights use fuel is rediculous.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Trying to find an article(Science magazine) that shows using headlights in standard average every day cars uses .67% more fuel than not using them.

Sure, it isn't much, but it is a difference :)

Not the article i was looking for, but I am fairly sure a physicist would have a better understanding of it all over us armchair forum warriors :)

http://mb-soft.com/public/headlite.html

By all means, throw up your qualifications and explanations on why this guy is wrong :D

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Not even close to 50/100km a tank though.

Edit: didn't see your edit. Not even going to bother argueing that, Just go drive around with your head lights on. $100 bet you don't loose 50/100km from a tank of petrol.