Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just a two-door Sigma.

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
So, this shitbox is what's taking all my time and money at the moment. Had it for close on 3 years, love it to bits. Good fun to drive when it's not ####ing broken, pretty slow but handles rings around any stock Commodore I've ever driven.

IMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

'81 model Mitsubishi Scorpion. Paint's dead, as were the front guards/bonnet/beaver panel, hence the white/silver front end. Next to no rust, which is nice.
Did have an EFI 2.4L destroked 4G54 in it, but silly me went and racked up $1500 worth of fines so I sold it and dropped in a stock carby 4G54. Which has grenaded twice, thanks to the shitty workmanship of the idiot who "rebuilt" the motor before I bought it.
Triton 5spd (with a Starion gearset, better ratios), 5-puck brass button clutch, 4.667:1 diff gears, Commodore shocks/Centura springs up front, Magna wagon shocks/heavy duty '78-'80 Scorpion springs out back. The reverse rake is gay, but I'm working on a new front suspension setup that should have it sitting level. Brakes are stock, have slotted rotors and good pads though.
Rims are 14x6 +17 Fortrans up front, 14x7 +0 Centrelines out back. Tyres are 185/65 Goodyears.

Motor's going to be a fairly stock EFI 2.6, CBF building another 2.4. More interested in finding a set of 3.9's for it, the 4.6's are just too short. Even still, a lard-arsed GN SE with every option available at the time will run a flat 15 with a stock EFI 2.6 and a BW30 auto, so this thing should be quicker still with 150kg less weight to lug around and the 5spd. Should be fun :D

Last edited:

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
What!! Haven't seen on of the old scorpions in fkn years!

In guessing 'cause there all on farms lol

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Dude you've got to put those things under cover because it looks like when they come in contact with water they multiply!!!! Lol
I had my NA SWB Pajero with a 2.6 Aston 2 motor it was a good little low down torque engine, had 426,000 klm's on the clock and made just over 400,000 klm's before a rebuild.

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
Lol, probably. They never were overly common in the first place, probably due to being a tad more expensive than it's competitors.
Still, they're a nice car to drive and are quite comfy to boot. Plenty of torque, handle well, go fast parts are cheap and they aren't that bad looking IMO. Would probably be easier to have gone with an RA65, S12 or SA22C RX7, but meh.

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
Dude you've got to put those things under cover because it looks like when they come in contact with water they multiply!!!! Lol
I had my NA SWB Pajero with a 2.6 Aston 2 motor it was a good little low down torque engine, had 426,000 klm's on the clock and made just over 400,000 klm's before a rebuild.

Rofl. White one is the one that got me into these things. Bought it off a mate for $200, thrashed it around for ages. Handled so well for a stocker, and was only a 2L but it went a fair bit better than my old Sunny so I was happy :D
Silver one came with this thing for parts.

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Let me know if you want a 34 ADM Webber carby conversion kit off of my Pajero it's just sitting there since I got rid of him (Bunky).

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Those old Scorpions were a pretty good thing in their day and the styling was streets ahead of most other Japs at that time. I love the way farm folk just park their old cars anywhere and leave them for a hundred years hoping they'll disappear into the ground or something - saves on tip fees, I guess. I agree that it would be worth trying to get them out of the weather if possible. Scorpions are a rare sight these days (perhaps because you have all the survivors on your property):spot on: and it might be worth preserving something for the future.

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
Haven't got space under cover for any of them, Dad seems to think that the shitload of rotting old doors and whatnot he has in the spare car bay in the shed is more important. Besides, the silver one's rusted pretty badly.
The white one is supposed to be getting a quick resto and rally prep for next year's AMSAG rounds at Forbes and Cowra, but my brother and I have yet to start on that.

I'll put a shed up for it one day, lol

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
Few more pics, for those who're interested. Not in order or anything, I've just pulled them off my photobucket willy-nilly. I will try and post them by what they show though.

Outside
IMG_0522.jpg

IMG_0532.jpg

SAM_0570.jpg

SAM_0522.jpg

SAM_0533.jpg

SAM_0018.jpg

SAM_0015.jpg

03112010.jpg

06032010001.jpg

06032010.jpg

car2010.jpg

car2001.jpg

Joshsstuff010.jpg

Joshsstuff004.jpg

This is an old one. Took it the day after I bought the car, in October 2009.
Gj.jpg

Inside
SAM_0509.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

SAM_0569.jpg

SAM_0554.jpg

Joshsstuff006.jpg

Cops took offence to this, lol. Can't imagine why :p
06052010.jpg

Mechanical-y bits
Arrows point to some panel damage that I hadn't actually noticed until I looked at the photo, lol
Untitled.jpg

Diff gears, 4.667:1 from an '81 L300 with the 1.8 petrol.
IMG_0528.jpg

2.6L powerhouse, lol
SAM_0520.jpg

What lies beneath the timing cover
SAM_0515.jpg

Had it off because of this, oil pump drive sprocket bolt wasn't done up properly. My fault. That's what killed it the second time, spewed all the oil out that hole and ran a bearing.
SAM_0290.jpg

SAM_0514.jpg

A less sideways shot of the engine bay
DSCF3332.jpg

The first time it exploded was due to this, BHG
30102010.jpg

Anyway.
Coolstorybrahcat.jpg

And I should have something worth posting by Monday.

80VC202

Reaction score
Members Ride
'80 VC pov pack
Long time no update.

Was gonna buy a Jap-market Starion with the 12-valve DASH G63BT, but the guy selling it decided to be a shitc*nt and not sell the car to me, apparently not having immediate plans to restore it made me a dreamer :roll:

Anyway.
G54 is on the stand in the shed, ripped it apart to discover shagged balance shaft bearings and a couple broken rings. No bore damage though, thankfully. Bores are bloody brilliant, no wear lip and there's still a faint crosshatching from the last time it was re-ringed. Standard size, too. Gonna be able to get away with just a re-ring and a hone, which is always nice.
Balance shaft eliminator kit, new rings and a hone, come at me. Should be running soon.

Oh, attempted to weld up the front half of the exhaust as well. It's basically a set of 4-2-1 extractors with a 2" in/out 18" hotdog (stole it from an N13 Pulsar with a ghey cannon, lol) welded to the end, and a slip joint welded to the end of that to attach it to the rear half of the exhaust, which will be stock for now.
Didn't *quite* work. Birdshit welds aside it's held together fine, no holes or anything, but there's a bit of cut/weld required so it lines up right. As it stands, the aforementioned slip joint is about 30mm below where the stock flange would be. Will get onto that this weekend.

Gonna stick to this plan, it's a good one.

-Rebuilt Astron I, deleted balance shafts, matchported intake, 34ADM, dodge up an airbox setup using a carby hat, a few silicone bends and whatever airbox I can get to fit where the overflow is, extractors, my dodgy exhaust.
-Give the gearbox a birthday. New shifter bushes, oil, seals etc.
-Cut EF Falcon front springs, Monroe GT-Gas shocks (front), '78-'80 Lovells lowered springs, Magna wagon shocks (rear)
-Inside, stock seats, nice, dishy 340mm Momo tiller, HKB boss kit.
-Outside, fix the rust, GK GSR boot spoiler (matte black), Mk1 Golf lip.
-14x6 +17 Fortrans, 185/65 tyres (front), 14x7 +0 Centrelines, 185/65 tyres (rear)

Was REALLY hoping to have this done in time for WTAC, but that didn't happen so I'm going to aim for Wakefield matsuri instead. Also wanna have a go at Huntley in November.