Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just joined the orphan club

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
10000 miles of the UK and saw a handful of these cars ("ZB" Opel Insignias) there as well. Even they are off them there. Not a big player in the market for that model.

StrayKiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY18 ZB VXR
BMW especially hit a point in early 2010s with the M sport suspension where it was legitimately uncomfortable and "sporty ride" was the be all and end all.

Not that long ago I got to take a ride in a friends Merc A45 AMG. It was like Mercedes had proclaimed, "we want a no holds barred, no expense spared competition dominating hot hatch," and proceeded to produce one. I have a preconceived notion of how Mercedes are supposed to ride, this one reminded me more of a go kart than a German luxury car. We're talking shake your fillings loose chiropractor needed afterwards kind of firm, it made the Focus RS feel like a Rolls Royce. Kind of a shame because the rest of the car is pretty good.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
The difference with the Euro cars is they can build a very tight chassis and firm suspension without the harshness and our local product had never achieved this.

Pretty much every road test by respected motor noters from Australia, Uk and USA that I've read of Zeta-era Commodores (VE-VF), say something quite different. They were literally clean sheet-designed to be great handling big sedans with a rigid chassis, near 50-50 weight distribution, firm-ish suspension (FE2 onwards) with big wheel/tire combos, yet comfortable long distance cruisers. Australian engineers are respected around the world for achieving this and only the Euros can do it as well - or even better. But to say the Aussie products never got close to the Euros is not correct at all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Besides the last post I think I read in this thread someone claiming the VE/VF Dore as poor handling. I find my VR ute handles quite well now I've played with coils and replaced bushes. The VE being much later tech in handling and suspension would be beautiful is my guess. Saying the VE is floaty I don't get? Even on our tight roads in Tas my old VR handles fine going the speed limit and recommend corner speeds sign posted. Last I knew only the NT had limits above 110kph and that's only in the long straight of the out back.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Something not mentioned I don't think is that European cars often come with run flat tyres from the factory. This may help handling but on our Tas roads those I know with run flat tyres can't wait to lose them as they are pretty awful comfort wise.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not that long ago I got to take a ride in a friends Merc A45 AMG. It was like Mercedes had proclaimed, "we want a no holds barred, no expense spared competition dominating hot hatch," and proceeded to produce one. I have a preconceived notion of how Mercedes are supposed to ride, this one reminded me more of a go kart than a German luxury car. We're talking shake your fillings loose chiropractor needed afterwards kind of firm, it made the Focus RS feel like a Rolls Royce. Kind of a shame because the rest of the car is pretty good.

Cars that were designed to go fast around the 'ring...