Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Just splutters like a rev limiter

newtownbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh wagon/efi 202 off road car
VY SS ute,
After pulling high rpm gear changes (just below redline) through first,second,third change into forth and splutter splutter splutter, button off and all comes good
We are thinking low fuel pressure but we dont know the stock pressure so havent checked that yet, I believe there is a basic type of regulator at the pump, is this true? or fuel filter issues maybe
Any more gooder ideas out there?

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
does sound like a fuel problem... how many k's has it done??

if its over 80,000 it could be spark plugs or a mixture of both if they havent been changed at specified service intervals

newtownbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
only 6000kms but no mercy has been shown

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
:p take off the fuel filter and blow thru it backwards... if its very brown then replace it and see how you go

fuel pressure should be above 220 KPA if its any help to you

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Fuel pressure is regulated at 58 psi by a regulator valve in the pump housing.
One other thing with the utes is they use a calibration in the tune file to regulate the fuel pump voltage. This is done to try & minimise fuel pump noise in the cab.
In my limited experience the fuel pump in the utes have a tendency to loose a lot of pressure at WOT when they have a few K's under their belt. One car I did quite a few months ago saw a loss of near 15psi. However it did not show the symptoms you are describing. As peanuts stated check your fuel filter first. If that isnt the problem try to get an accurate fuel pressure under the failing conditions.
Electrical issues have a habit of showing up under load so a check of plugs & leads wont hurt either.
The speed limiter is set at 209kph at the factory but I dont think you are getting that quick ( I hope not anyway)

Last edited:

newtownbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
interesting find

We have two fuel filters, one inthe engine bay drivers side at the front and one right down the back under the deck in the centre and here is the interesting bit, its next to a black box which I guess contains the pump, plumbing to here from the tank then forward through a filter to other filter,
This black box has yellow paint on it like wrecking yards use that says VT wagon,
This cant be the standard location for the pump there is no way you could hear it all the way down there and maybe VY wagons have a different fuel pressure maybe it comes of a V6, hmm the plot thickens

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Ute fuel pumps are in the tank. I am pretty sure what you are looking at is a canister for the fuel vapours.
The fuel filter is the one under the back near the diff. Make sure you release the pressure from the fuel lines using the schraeder valve on the passenger side fuel rail before attempting to remove them. Removal is as easy as pushing the line in towards the filter, squeezing in the tabs & then pulling off the line.

Holden2gether

The short,chunky fella
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S
Would have thought that if it was a filter prob (partial blockage e.t.c) then the spluttering would have occurred in any gear, not just fourth? Especially if you've taken to near red line in every other gear with a wide open throttle getting it there, fuel pressure would have been constant throughout. Sounds more like an electrical/engine management prob to me.......but I have been known to be wrong :whistling ...so it's just one more possibility to consider.

newtownbob

Reaction score
Members Ride
If we run through the gears slower but still up to the rpm there is no "dieing the arse" as is when accelerateing as fast as possable, hence we were thinking fuel supply issues,

Vapour canister, ok we might change both filters and check pressure before and after filter change. 58psi

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
According to my spreadsheet when you hit 4th you will be doing 4750 rpm. This puts your speed at well under the speed limiter. ( Hope this is on the track mate)
There is nothing else I can find in the standard tune that will turn on a hard limit so we are left with few possabilities.
Engine protection mode will alter the fuelling usually enrichening the crap out of it. This will tax a weak ignition & possibly cause your symptoms. I would find some one with scanning capabilities & get them to have a look.