Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&N Air Filter Advice

NIIIIIK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Equipe
do you actually notice much of a difference for $100 or should i just keep the standard one in?

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
do you actually notice much of a difference for $100 or should i just keep the standard one in?

In my personal experience no, its not like you get in after fitting a K&N and go whoarrrrr, that go's heaps faster!!. But the technology is sound and they are worthwhile IMO

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
what is the go with the recharge, is it just filter oil which is all sticky?

mummbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV Redline Sportwagon
Sit it upside down on newspaper overnight, you don't want too much oil being sucked up into the TB via the air sensors...

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
Its not a K&N Filter for a start, as K&N filters are red. Secondly, there are 2 different types of air filters. A pod filter (which is the 'cone' filter you speak of) and a flat panel filter (which is what you have). A panel filter fits inside you factory air box but lets a higher flow of air through. A pod filter is usually put on to replace you entire factory air box & filter, and is also illegal for road use and can get you defected should you draw the attention of a cop and he looks under the bonnet.

It is a K&N filter. They are red when they are feshly or recently oiled with genuine red K&N filter medium oil.

To the O.P., make sure you clean and re oil it with a K&N kit and you will never have any issues. Just a mist of oil will do as the oil can coat the MAF sensor elements and affect MAF readings. Clean the MAF elements periodically (3monthly) with a cheap contact cleaner too to remove any excess K&N oil and you will be laughing

VX Appeal

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II S-Pack
what is the go with the recharge, is it just filter oil which is all sticky?
The recharge kit comes with a cleaner spray and an oil applicator. You saturate the filter on both sides with the cleaner spray and let it sit with 10 mins making sure it doesn't dry.. you then spray it with a low pressure hose and let it dry naturally until completely bone dry.. You then apply the oil on the "dirty" or bottom side and let it sit for 20 mins, apply more on bare spots and let it sit for 20 more mins... You are able to put it back in the air box then but I'm going to let mine sit overnight.

Sit it upside down on newspaper overnight, you don't want too much oil being sucked up into the TB via the air sensors...
When you say upside down, is that how it sits in the air box or the opposite (The dirty side up). Because that's how it's sitting now.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
It is a K&N filter. They are red when they are feshly or recently oiled with genuine red K&N filter medium oil.

To the O.P., make sure you clean and re oil it with a K&N kit and you will never have any issues. Just a mist of oil will do as the oil can coat the MAF sensor elements and affect MAF readings. Clean the MAF elements periodically (3monthly) with a cheap contact cleaner too to remove any excess K&N oil and you will be laughing

man i dont even oil mine anymore, i just wash and clean the filter, had no problems with it (its a pod)

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R

Yeah its already been well covered that its a K&N. I have just never seen one that uncoloured before which is why I assumed wrongly it wasnt one.

Macca86

Reaction score
Members Ride
XR6T Ute & a ZX6R
man i dont even oil mine anymore, i just wash and clean the filter, had no problems with it (its a pod)

If you dont oil it then as someone said earlier in this thread you may as well just leave the filter off completely, as its the oil that actually traps the dust and **** from being sucked into your engine, so a filter thats been washed and not re-oiled isnt gonna filter anything