Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

K&N Panel Filter VS Stock Panel Filter

Scheme

Reaction score
Members Ride
S2 VN Wagon Exectuive
I just installed a L67 OTR Cold Air Intake on my VN V6 Wagon, and have noticed slight improvements but nothing drastic. I'm pretty happy with how it is now, but everyone posting about CAI's seem to upgrade their air filters to K&N / DRIFT or other brands etc. Is it REALLY worth it in the end, considering changing the filter ($5.00 @ holden) every 5000 - 10,000 K's?
Not talking in the aspect of "Buy it once never replace it, it's re-washable" etc etc.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
There is a noticeable difference between the stock filter and the K&N high flow filters... however there's an even bigger difference again between the K&N high flow filter and an enclosed pod filter

I've tried them all and found the enclosed pod to be the best

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
If you drive in the city and the intake is exposed to "clean air" K&N maybe OK.

If you go off road or drive in dusty condition's go genuine (or paper based) air filter as they trap dirt way better.

Many threads on an oil site I visit where the used engine oil analysis of engine oil by owners of vehicles using K&N filters show higher silicon (ie dirt) content compared to when the same vehicle was using a genuine paper filter.

K&N for racing where oil is changed frequently for daily driver the holden filter changed every 20000km or 1 year is fine.

Any advice contrary to this is BS.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
There is a noticeable difference between the stock filter and the K&N high flow filters... however there's an even bigger difference again between the K&N high flow filter and an enclosed pod filter

I've tried them all and found the enclosed pod to be the best
Ditto go the Mace enclosed pod way better