Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kalmaker Tune VX,VY Super6

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Hi fellas I just thought I would bring this to the attention of the VX & VY
Super 6 owners.
Up until now there may have been guy's out there that have had there supercharged vx & vy vehicles custom tuned by various workshops with the
KALMAKER software. The tune up that they would have done would have been using a workshop program W51 script, which is intended for VT model only, as there was nothing available for vx vy up until now.
The vx,vy use different program & vy has totally different serial data.
So in future if anyone is planning on a custom KALMAKER tune, just ask your
dyno operator to perform the calibration with a W81 script for the VX & W91
script for the VY if they have purchased this software.
By doing this you will have a far better tune up as everything will work as it was intended by Holden. :my:

Cheers Lou
BCT.

B

blofly

Thanks for the tip Lou :w00t: I had no idea that the ecu was different. I thought that the supercharged V6's were all the same from VS to VX and the VY had some kind of different rocker set up. I am considering upgrading everything like exhaust, rockers, pulley and intercooler but don't know how many tunes I will need between mods. I have read several times that the ECU can "LEARN" the required changes needed for the rocker upgrade. How can that be?

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
blofly said:
Thanks for the tip Lou :w00t: I had no idea that the ecu was different. I thought that the supercharged V6's were all the same from VS to VX and the VY had some kind of different rocker set up. I am considering upgrading everything like exhaust, rockers, pulley and intercooler but don't know how many tunes I will need between mods. I have read several times that the ECU can "LEARN" the required changes needed for the rocker upgrade. How can that be?

G'day Blowfly:

The ECU is basiclly the same, its just the program that is somewhat different
in the engine & trans veriables, also how it comunicates with the body control modual.
The tune up can self learn by monitering o2 voltages & upgrading the intergraters on both Left & Right bank,but this will only happen when in Idle & closed loop fuel .
When you give it the Berries, it will look up Open Loop fuel with defined Air Fuel mixture tables that have been set by the Dyno opperator and does not self learn in this mode.
The other thing to concider is that any mods you do that increase cylinder preasure will agrivate the knock sensor, & can retard spark timming up to
20 degrees so any potential that you may have added with mods can easily
be taken away with spark retard.
I hope this has been helpful.

Cheers Lou
BCT.

B

blofly

so can it be assumed that by swapping to a set of 1.9:1 rockers you would have to run 98+octane fuel and a cold air induction set up to reduce knock sensitivity? or would it be better to just fork out the extra money to have it correctly tuned on a dyno with a kalmaker tuner? I am guessing the answer must be to run 98 octane juice fit a CAI and have it tuned for best results hey? I used to be rich before I found my commodore :b:

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
blofly said:
so can it be assumed that by swapping to a set of 1.9:1 rockers you would have to run 98+octane fuel and a cold air induction set up to reduce knock sensitivity? or would it be better to just fork out the extra money to have it correctly tuned on a dyno with a kalmaker tuner? I am guessing the answer must be to run 98 octane juice fit a CAI and have it tuned for best results hey? I used to be rich before I found my commodore :b:

Hi Blowfly.

A few months ago I had a lad with a vx wagon NA engine that fitted up all the S/c gear on it.
The custom tune was done on 98 fuel, no rockers, no CAI just a set of Geanie
pipe & a twin 2.25 system, the end result was 242 RWHP running 13.2:1
A/F @ 5900rpm full noise on 9PSI boost.

Cheers Lou.
:ranting:

B

blofly

thats a pretty good output for only 9psi boost and standard rockers and intake ducting. I guess it can come down to the perfect tuning set up making so much more of a difference!

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
blofly said:
thats a pretty good output for only 9psi boost and standard rockers and intake ducting. I guess it can come down to the perfect tuning set up making so much more of a difference!

Absoluaty blowfly:

Personaly i come across other peoples tune ups and find that they run exremely rich on the fuel side of things, this promotes a very slow flame
in the combustion chamber & if knock occurs due to over advanced ignition timing it knocks bloody hard, and as I have mentioned in the past the ECU
will pull a **** load of timing out, up to 20 degrees in some cases.
This slow combustion will burn through the engines power stroke and continue
to burn into the exhaust stroke.
One must reliese that the power stroke is the only engine cycle that will produce power.
So all this exta fuel & air is going to waiste and hindering gas flow through
the exhaust valve & port.
There is more to tuning an engine that meet the eye.

Cheers Lou.
BCT

B

blofly

thats interesting to note there Lou!
One thing I notice is that when I plant my foot in my VX the tyres begin to spin slowly on take off half way through first gear but in situations where I need to rip out into a roundabout or else spend the arvo waiting there, I plant my foot and screech off into the roundabout then once I am in the lane of the roundabout I back off the accelerator and the tyres begin to really light up :confused: weird like it seems to have more torque with the foot slightly off the pedal? would that be a symptom of poor tuning from the factory? The reason I ask is because the only reason I can immagine why it does this is because I am reducing the amount of air going into the engine when I release my foot a tad and by doing this I am maybe reducing the amount of knocking happening and maintaning more advance for the same reason? perhaps she runs lean at full load, throttle position and revs?

Skid Pattern

Artwork on the road!
Reaction score
Blue-Chip said:
Hi fellas I just thought I would bring this to the attention of the VX & VY
Super 6 owners.
Up until now there may have been guy's out there that have had there supercharged vx & vy vehicles custom tuned by various workshops with the
KALMAKER software. The tune up that they would have done would have been using a workshop program W51 script, which is intended for VT model only, as there was nothing available for vx vy up until now.
The vx,vy use different program & vy has totally different serial data.
So in future if anyone is planning on a custom KALMAKER tune, just ask your
dyno operator to perform the calibration with a W81 script for the VX & W91
script for the VY if they have purchased this software.
By doing this you will have a far better tune up as everything will work as it was intended by Holden. :my:

Cheers Lou
BCT.

G'day Lou

If I am understanding this correctly you are saying that any previous tuning to VX Vy perfomed with the Kalmaker were given VT software. If this is the case is there much difference in the program and would it comprise the performance of these later model vehicles? Just interested.

Skids.

Blue-Chip

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Commodore
Skid Pattern said:
G'day Lou

If I am understanding this correctly you are saying that any previous tuning to VX Vy perfomed with the Kalmaker were given VT software. If this is the case is there much difference in the program and would it comprise the performance of these later model vehicles? Just interested.

Skids.

Hi Skids :

Yes the program for the vx,vy have had further improvements by holden in
order to iron out any existing bugs that may have been apparent in the VT
binaries & have added extra bells & whistles to the current binaries.
The vx also had to comply with the next level of ADR as the vy was moved up
another level fo compliance. :w00t:

Cheers Lou.