Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kat's R33 GTST project

padrickz88

Rick =]
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VN V6, nothing special
This should be an interesting build :p i want to see how you go with this.

goodluck dude, don't forget to boost it up from the pussy 7psi (i think) also wouldn't go much over 12ish psi, (most people reckon the turbo is good for about 1 bar max before the ceramic wheel goes to heaven)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
so I'm having trouble chasing down the source of a misfire / spark breakdown..

Idles fine
Coasting down in gear misfires
Under part or full throttle misfires at random so hard the R&R must kick in or something because it's like the power just drops away for a moment now and then

I've changed the O2 sensor just behind the turbo, there looks to be another one in the rear of the catalytic convertor but I don't know what the deal is with that..? Is this a common issue?

There's also an earth strap just hanging free from the floorpan right next to the catalytic convertor... where is this supposed to go?

The earth strap in the engine bay from the motor to the strut tower is a piece of ****, I need to replace this because it's rubbish and I'm not happy with it at all.

Other than this issue the car's going alright :)

LoudVn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Wagon, Vp Wagon.
never had that issue with mine only issue i had is blowning the turbo every 3to 5days ;]

Demoniak

Like a pig in kaakaa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE 6.0 SS Ute, 02 VX II SS Sedan
im 6.0 and im glad i gave up the imports, without a sunroof i had bugger all room.. with one was murder.
You will get over it very very quickly how you have to sit to fit into it.

The only option is to change the seats and make custom rails that are lower.. and then your view is screwed..
ahhhh the japan imports lol.. how they were meant for 5.5 japanese people..

My 2002 ADR 200sx (s15) Spec R was quite roomy for the drivers seat.
And so was my 1998 Supra TT (2j)
Also the chasers are extremely roomy (fyi)

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
I have two VNs and have driven all manner of things while I was working at a caryard.. the 33 isn't too annoying at all.

I know what you mean about S15s and Supras, I remember being surprised by the amount of space available for the driver :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
the o2 up near the turbo isnt the o2, im pretty sure thats a mixture sensor. the o2 on the cat is the o2 (lol) but if you cut that off or it fails itll have a little warning light on the dash that looks kinda like grilled cheese on the oven. little wavy heat lights thingie.

edit here it is. bottom row, rhs:
9531d1199283845-hot-dog-warning-light-image-298-.jpg

how is the wastegate in this? doesnt have a BOV does it? im wondering if you are talking about what i call the BOP (official term, of course). in manuals if you have a BOV which isnt adjusted right, or a wastegate thats a bit sticky, when you gear down it allows too much air to get dumped without altering the mixtures to suit. it then drops a tonne of overley rich mixture into the exhaust and it BOP's when that fuel it hits the hot exhaust.

does that sound right? its REALLLLLLY common, especially with AM exhausts. sounds kinda annoying, but i dont think it damages anything. just means your plugs will foul quickly from dud mixtures. eaisest fix is to close off the BOV a bit so it doesnt dump as much or replace the stock wastegate on the top of the egnine (the alloy pipe running over the rocker cover)

also the earth strap goes to the heat shield cover on the cat. but being a series 1 r33 i would image those 10mm bolts holding the cover on are gone to heaven. rusted out or snapped off when they changed to aussie cat. you can rip that strap off. i normally do when i change cats on these its just attached to the top of the tailshaft tunnel. and dont would worry about the earthing straps too much. there are bazillions in the loom. its common for people to run earthing strap kits, but i have nfi why.

Last edited: