Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kenwood 12inch 1200wat + 222wat amp = fail?

MAG00

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Calais
This thread + Replies in this thread = /facepalm

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY10 SIDI Sportwagon
i wouldnt facepalm your head.

^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
everyone is a wannabe pro when it comes to stereo setups...

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
i wouldnt facepalm your head.

^^ ^^ ^^ ^^
everyone is a wannabe pro when it comes to stereo setups...
Actually mate, there's a few people on here who have many years of experience with car audio whether it be installations, repairs or sales. It's amusing to see a thread like this where a whole lot of incorrect or poor information has been given.

Then there's new guys who are just regurgitating what they read on MEA and others who just think they know everything. They seem to think being rude will help the dumbarses learn, but it really just makes themselves look like arseholes.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
ok then, well obviously your the professional here................................

No i'm not a professional, and clearly neither are you. I do however have "some" experience, and that "some" is enough to know that what your saying is crap and is just wasting the OP's time, and potentially his money.

Why should he exceed his budget by %30 to buy a brand new amp that isn't suited for the application.

There still hasn't been any confirmation on whether the sub is a single or dual voice coil either, so until that's been established there's no point in reccomending anything.

OP if you want some help stop being lazy. Pull the sub out of the box and write down the model number of the back of it, then pull your head unit out and check the pre-outs. Don't leave it up to us to guess or spend ages searching the net looking for results for you.

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
No i'm not a professional, and clearly neither are you. I do however have "some" experience, and that "some" is enough to know that what your saying is crap and is just wasting the OP's time, and potentially his money.

Why should he exceed his budget by %30 to buy a brand new amp that isn't suited for the application.

There still hasn't been any confirmation on whether the sub is a single or dual voice coil either, so until that's been established there's no point in reccomending anything.

OP if you want some help stop being lazy. Pull the sub out of the box and write down the model number of the back of it, then pull your head unit out and check the pre-outs. Don't leave it up to us to guess or spend ages searching the net looking for results for you.

I didnt mention anything about going out and buy a new amp... i clearly stated that i had the same amp and it ran my
1200w sub perfectly. So your getting a tad mixed up on your info.

someone who doesnt have a car let alone a stereo setup probably isnt the best person to be getting info from,
4ch amps are good to have incase u have a change of heart in a few months and wish to connect rear speakers or another sub to.

Probably the best information u can take out of this thread is dont ask anyone about stereo setups (unless they are pros) on a forum. everyone has there own opinions on setups, but no one can be the judge of who is better until u compare stereos.......

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
I didnt mention anything about going out and buy a new amp... i clearly stated that i had the same amp and it ran my
1200w sub perfectly. So your getting a tad mixed up on your info.

someone who doesnt have a car let alone a stereo setup probably isnt the best person to be getting info from,
4ch amps are good to have incase u have a change of heart in a few months and wish to connect rear speakers or another sub to.

Probably the best information u can take out of this thread is dont ask anyone about stereo setups (unless they are pros) on a forum. everyone has there own opinions on setups, but no one can be the judge of who is better until u compare stereos.......
You're talking in max watts and recommended, by way of saying yours works, a 4 channel amp to run a sub... This shows that you are not someone to take car audio advice from. There's no differing of opinions, that's just poor advice.

Phantom6 SportWagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
You're talking in max watts and recommended, by way of saying yours works, a 4 channel amp to run a sub... This shows that you are not someone to take car audio advice from. There's no differing of opinions, that's just poor advice.

(Probably the best information u can take out of this thread is dont ask anyone about stereo setups (unless they are pros) on a forum. everyone has there own opinions on setups, but no one can be the judge of who is better until u compare stereos.......) READ THIS.

so your saying my set up didnt work?

It worked yes, did it work to the proper capacity? No and i know that. But for what i wanted it for it worked perfectly!!

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
(Probably the best information u can take out of this thread is dont ask anyone about stereo setups (unless they are pros) on a forum. everyone has there own opinions on setups, but no one can be the judge of who is better until u compare stereos.......) READ THIS.

so your saying my set up didnt work?

It worked yes, did it work to the proper capacity? No and i know that. But for what i wanted it for it worked perfectly!!

How can you judge a persons ability or knowledge based on their stereo system, or whether they have a car or not.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Back to topic, OP, please give us the model number on the back of your sub. The specs you linked to are for the 3012, i beleive yours is the 3011, and that yours in a single voice coil, not a dual voice coil as you said you thought it was.

It's going to make the difference when finding an amp to suit should you choose not to use the Sony you currently have.