Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key fob making "pocket calls"

AreWeThereYet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6
Having trouble with your key fob unlocking the car or the boot lid without your knowledge? I was - because the lock/unlock buttons were being accidentally pressed in my pocket. It is great to return to your car after an hour's shopping to find the boot lid in the air or the car unlocked. I assume I was unknowingly unlocking the doors or the boot as I walked away.
I fixed it! I enclosed the key fob in a small container and now I carry the container + key in my pocket with no further issues. Bonus: I never have the key blade opening in my pocket and punching a hole in my thigh when I sit down. I now use the lock/unlock buttons on the door handles and the internal boot lid button on the driver's door, so I don't need to use the key fob buttons at all.
I used a (large) Tic-Tac container, as shown in the photos. I removed the stick-on labels and ripped off the flip lid. Then I punched a largish hole in the centre of the lid to allow for a small split ring to poke through. It can be tricky getting the split ring through the top of the key fob with the white lid in the way, but it is doable. Finally, using a scalpel I removed the small ridge around the inside top of the clear container so that I can easily pull the container apart to access the key fob buttons if I ever need to.
I have been carrying my key this way for 6 months and it works admirably.

Attachments

• Holden key fob 1.jpg
    Holden key fob 1.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 104
  • Holden key fob 2.jpg
    Holden key fob 2.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 103

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
There is a software update that addresses the boot opening issue, the update makes it require a 2 second long press to open the boot which reduces the chance that it will accidentally open.

You can set the vehicle to auto relock in the vehicle settings so if it does unlock and a door is not opened within a certain amount of time it should relock its self.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Big money lies in creating a version for those that have an ignition barrel...

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
Having trouble with your key fob unlocking the car or the boot lid without your knowledge? I was - because the lock/unlock buttons were being accidentally pressed in my pocket. It is great to return to your car after an hour's shopping to find the boot lid in the air or the car unlocked. I assume I was unknowingly unlocking the doors or the boot as I walked away.
I fixed it! I enclosed the key fob in a small container and now I carry the container + key in my pocket with no further issues. Bonus: I never have the key blade opening in my pocket and punching a hole in my thigh when I sit down. I now use the lock/unlock buttons on the door handles and the internal boot lid button on the driver's door, so I don't need to use the key fob buttons at all.
I used a (large) Tic-Tac container, as shown in the photos. I removed the stick-on labels and ripped off the flip lid. Then I punched a largish hole in the centre of the lid to allow for a small split ring to poke through. It can be tricky getting the split ring through the top of the key fob with the white lid in the way, but it is doable. Finally, using a scalpel I removed the small ridge around the inside top of the clear container so that I can easily pull the container apart to access the key fob buttons if I ever need to.
I have been carrying my key this way for 6 months and it works admirably.
How about just wearing looser pants?