Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

series 2 VF key not detected, yet remote works

Sjuliani88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf commodore ute
Im having a weird issue with a couple of my vf utes.
On one (Series 2 ute) i lost the only key i had for the car, i bought a blank one(Chinese) on the internet and programmed it using gms ac delco website. the key fob unlocks and locks the car but it does NOT allow me to actually start the car unless i insert the key into the backup key slot in the center console.
on my other ute (series 2 ute), the main oem key gives me a similar issue, key unlocks and locks the car and even remote start works but if i get inside the car and try to start the car with the key in my pocket it give me the "no key detected" message, i can only start the car by inserting the key in the backup key slot.
im thinking it might be a receiver antenna but why is the key signal being detected when pressing the unlock/lock button yet the key is not recognize in the starting sequence?
anyone have this issue?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
there are 3 parts to the pkes key...
one part is the remote functions (lock/unlock) when pressing the buttons
one is the pkes transmitter(main identification method)
one is the rfid chip(backup identification method)

it sounds like the remote and rfid are working properly but the vehicle is not receiving the pkes data so the key is not programmed properly or the key is the wrong type or the receiver module is not receiving the signal which will all throw the key not detected message when you try to start it.

with keys you need to make sure that you get the correct key for the vehicle because they may look the same but they use different methods to identify the key so a pkes enabled system might not recognise a non pkes key, its just differences in the messages sent from the key to the vehicle and if they are not the correct format the vehicle will not respond to the key.

if everything worked fine before you changed keys i would doubt that it is the receiver module so i would leave that last on the list.

try reprogram the key to the vehicle and see if it solves it, the keys can fail to program properly giving you the same issue you are having, make sure you follow all of the steps involved correctly.

the key its self could be dodgy as the chinese ones dont have the best quality control.

one way to test parts of pkes out is to lock the vehicle and let it sit for 2 minutes so it shuts down and then try and use the button on the door handle to unlock it, that will tell you that the external receivers are working with that key and could point to the internal module being the problem.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Try a new, good quality, battery in the key fob.
Solved an issue I had with my SSV.
Always buy your batteries from a place that has a high turnover, less chance of a battery that's sat on the shelf for awhile...

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Bunnings sells the batteries and they have a pretty good turn over of them.
They should also have a use by date on the packet.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Bunnings sells the batteries and they have a pretty good turn over of them.
They should also have a use by date on the packet.
Bunnings is the go! I'd rather they list a manufacturing date.
Everything has a use by date now, even Himalayan 10,000-year-old salt has a 2-year use by date... :cool:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'd rather they list a manufacturing date.
I read somewhere that lithium button batteries have a 10 year shelf life. If that’s true, then for lithium button batteries the manufacturing date = used by date - 10 years :p

Still, listing a manufacturing date and a used by (best before) date make it 100% unambiguous for all battery chemistries :cool:

Sjuliani88

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf commodore ute
found the problem. There 2 types of key fobs for these cars, they look identical except the circuit board is different.
PEPS (passive entry passive start)
and non peps which are essentially a remote + localized chip for close proximity reading by the antenna in the backup key slot .
I ordered some ill post more when i have it

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
my cruze told me the battery needs changing in my fob (center dash display), i could open it from 50m away but it wouldnt recognize the fob to allow me to start it, new battery fixed it