Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

key program issue, missing radio

SSroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
My daughters only key to her 2004 VY ended up in the ocean. Called a locksmith to get a new key. After 30 minutes of them messing about they said they can't program the door buttons because there is currently no radio in the car. They said the immobiliser wouldn't kick in because the key would work in the ignition. They started the car to show it worked then left.

The car was fine for 3 days then the immobiliser cut in again. We can go 5kms then have to sit for an hour for the key to start working again. Finally got a secondhand radio in the car today so getting them back tomorrow.

My question, which the locksmith nor Holden can answer is, why does the radio have to be connected for the programming to work? And, will it work with a secondhand one or does it need an original? Hoping secondhand is fine but will soon find out.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
My daughters only key to her 2004 VY ended up in the ocean. Called a locksmith to get a new key. After 30 minutes of them messing about they said they can't program the door buttons because there is currently no radio in the car. They said the immobiliser wouldn't kick in because the key would work in the ignition. They started the car to show it worked then left.

The car was fine for 3 days then the immobiliser cut in again. We can go 5kms then have to sit for an hour for the key to start working again. Finally got a secondhand radio in the car today so getting them back tomorrow.

My question, which the locksmith nor Holden can answer is, why does the radio have to be connected for the programming to work? And, will it work with a secondhand one or does it need an original? Hoping secondhand is fine but will soon find out.
Hi
Get another 3 or 4 locksmiths opinions. Ring them tell them your problem. See what they say.
With what the above guy said, he has a set of keys to copy. You don't?

SSroo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Have to wait until next week now as they had to cancel. Got another locksmith and he said 'sorry can't help, you can't reprogram a key'. I only have the choice of two so I'm going with the company I've dealt with in the past who are coming back to finish their job. Think I'll be giving the other company a wide berth.

Reaction score
Members Ride
Statesman WK 03 - LS1
I may be wrong, but requiring the radio to be connected sounds like a load of toss to me.

Someone will correct me, but the key is paired/coded to the ECU which operates your immobilizer. The transponder in your key is what communicates/broadcasts the code to the ECU, which in turn disarms it and allows it to be started.

Any good locksmith or your Holden dealer will be able to you out and program a new key.
You can even purchase tools to do this yourself from SuperCheap:
http://www.supercheapauto.co.nz/Pro...-Tool-For-Holden-Commodore-VS-VZ-KF200/370798

Simply purchase new key and chip (you can get them off eBay), and connect above device to the OBD port in your car.
Get key blade cut > insert into car > turn key to ACC.
Plug programmer into OBD port.
Wait

Key is programmed :D

VT2Commie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT2 Clubsport R8

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Key is programmed to the BCM, radio has no part in it.

TazzI

Envyous Customs
Reaction score
Website
www.envyouscustoms.com
Members Ride
Holden VE SS Ute
Listen to danielnitschke, the MAP keys work perfectly.

In saying the above, you may have other issues in the car causing issues, including poor connection at slip ring (Where the nobbly bit of the key touches the metal plate along the ignition ring).

Another common one is when the ABS module begins failing, causing all commutation in the car to fail and preventing the car from starting. Usually find it suddenly works after the car cools down.