Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Key remote wont unlock car and i lost the other key for the door lock

Hunter_666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L S1
Hey guys,

I have a 2001 VX Commodore Executive

Tonight the key remote won't unlock the car now. The door lock was replaced a while ago and I don't have that key any more.

I managed to get the bonnet open hoping to reset the car by disconnecting the battery but still no luck.

The battery is still charged and the security light still blinks on and off...

I have searched as much threads as I can and I haven't found anything similar to my issue.

Is this some kind of immobilizer feature?

So it's obviously locked me out and I can't get in now. The boot doesn't open either. None of the buttons work. The battery in the key is fine too.

If anyone can help me out with this problem I would really appreciate it

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Then the key data has been corrupted.
The key is powered by the ring around the lock. When it’s inserted and the metal contact on the key contacts the ring, (check it’s contacting) the key is powered and the car starts.

If the key you have does not open the car you have a problem.

As a rule, we won’t go writing how to over come this because that’s stuff that should not be on the Internet.

It’s possible the sun sensor on the

dash has a fault. That has multiple purposes, one of which is to receive the infrared signal from the key to unlock the car.
If there’s something wrong with it, you can have a not fun time.

repinning a lock to match the ignition key is not a hard thing to do yourself. There’s a kit for it. There’s videos walking you through it. It needs to be a priority of yours in this case.

The door lock can seem impossible to open with the key if it’s not been done before or in years. It will open with some effort.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
best to get roadside assist to open the car and then you can try key in ignition and get access to door barrel
at least you will have more options and be able to check fuses

Hunter_666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L S1
Then the key data has been corrupted.
The key is powered by the ring around the lock. When it’s inserted and the metal contact on the key contacts the ring, (check it’s contacting) the key is powered and the car starts.

If the key you have does not open the car you have a problem.

As a rule, we won’t go writing how to over come this because that’s stuff that should not be on the Internet.

It’s possible the sun sensor on the

dash has a fault. That has multiple purposes, one of which is to receive the infrared signal from the key to unlock the car.
If there’s something wrong with it, you can have a not fun time.

repinning a lock to match the ignition key is not a hard thing to do yourself. There’s a kit for it. There’s videos walking you through it. It needs to be a priority of yours in this case.

The door lock can seem impossible to open with the key if it’s not been done before or in years. It will open with some effort.

Hey bro I don't think you read my post properly

Hunter_666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE OMEGA 3.6L S1
best to get roadside assist to open the car and then you can try key in ignition and get access to door barrel
at least you will have more options and be able to check fuses

Any idea how I could open it myself without breaking a window ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Put the key in your door lock again. Now turn it... you will hit that resistance point where you think it can't go any further... it can. You feel like you're going to break something, but keep turning and it should unlock - you'll feel the familiar heavy click. Try both directions (clockwise/anticlockwise). You may even need to go back and forth a few times. The knob thing on the inside of the door may not pop up, but they're purely decorative, really - if it clicks, it's unlocked.

Aus78Formula

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX R8 Clubsport
The key doesn't fit the door...

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
the thread is 12 months oooooold.
Damn. Good point. Why TF did it come up on the main VT-VX forum page like the 5th or 6th thing down the list yesterday? I mean, topics at the top of the list are the most recent ones... they were when I last checked anyway... that's super weird. I wouldn't have bothered replying if I'd noticed that. Oh well, maybe it'll help someone in the future Googling the $hit out of why their door won't open.
I'm baffled. :confused: