Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

key reprogramming question

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
hi guys so the salesman didnt tell me that my Magnum only had one key until after I'd handed him the cheque. not happy. I have the spare key to the VF vehicle I traded-in which i inadvertently kept as a bargaining chip?? ;/ . Can i have this key re-programmed to suit my new car? Holden dealer parts bloke says yes but was bloody foggy with his response. business that codes new aftermarket keys says no. anyone know for sure. I don't want to pay $480 and i dont want an aftermarket either. cheers guys!

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Are you sure the spare key is not in the presentation box that comes with the Magnum?

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
hi guys so the salesman didnt tell me that my Magnum only had one key until after I'd handed him the cheque

New or used?

Assuming it is not in the presentation box as mentioned above:-

If used, then you may be out of luck

If new, go back and don't leave without a second key

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
New or used?

Assuming it is not in the presentation box as mentioned above:-

If used, then you may be out of luck

If new, go back and don't leave without a second key
Must be a Perth thing, selling cars with one key.
When I bought my SSV second hand, there was only one key the dealer could find.
I got the dealer principal to write in the sales agreement that they would provide a second key. Which they did with no hassle - thanks guys at Melville Holden.
About a year later, I got a call from the dealership when I was living back home in Sydney that they had found the second key when they "cleaned out a safe". I told them I didn't believe this was the correct key, but they insisted, so they sent it. It didn't work.
However, the local here, Col Crawford got it working. One of the few decent service departments around - they actually are interested in my car.
Long and short - I believe you can get keys reprogammed by Holden if the guys know what they are doing.

Last edited:

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Check around any independent auto locksmiths you have in your area. VicPol managed to loose 2 keys to my car before I bought it. Phoned around and sure enough found someone who had a genuine key for cheap because his first customer canceled and couldn’t return it to his supplier... Yes by the time I had to factor in the 1:30 travel time it probably ended up the same price but it was worth it to avoid the going to the stealership

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
bought it used with 2000kms. they claim that they only received one key which I kind of believe. it has the leather book and the rear window decal screen, motorsport mats and thats it. If anyone knows about reprgramming it would be the used car yards as buying a new key programmed for $480 is going to kill margins so they would have found a cheap way - ie taking a 2nd or 3rd key from another car on the lot and having it reprogrammed. to be continued

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
bit of an update here guys. I ended up doing some googling and got in touch with the original owner who has gladly agreed to send me the spare key! stoked!!!

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
bit of an update here guys. I ended up doing some googling and got in touch with the original owner who has gladly agreed to send me the spare key! stoked!!!

Good outcome. Why didn't he hand it to the dealer when trading it in?