Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Knocking noise from front right of engine bay. Holden say its the ABS. Need help.

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I've got a 2011 VE2 SS Ute and mine cluncks twice too. Once around 15km/h (usually when the auto is upshifting from 1-2) and then around 28km/h which is usually when the auto is upshifting from 2-3. Only ever happens on start up when first taking off. As it happens every single time and always at the same speeds I just thought it wa normal...and still do.
Yer it probably is normal but you shouldn't be able to hear it. The Bosch ESP 8 system is used in many brands of cars and is considered to be the best when released in 2001. EG: if you jump in an 2009/10/11 Audi you don't hear a "clunk, clunk" everytime you drive off after starting.

When I drive off after starting I get a buzz from the ABS at about 15 K's and then a double clunk at 28 K's. The clunk can vary in volume...

I am a little familiar with the components of the ESP 8 system but I'm still investigating exactly which component is producing the noise. Of course I will advise.

lozzascommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60TH MY09
I have been going insane with the knocking sound in front RH side of my MY09 VE 60th, it only happens when the car is cold and turning right taking off, and only just for a few moments. Apparently the Holden Service Manager took my car home so he could listen for it off a cold start, only to find out he can't hear the knocking... and looked at me like I was just a stupid woman when arguing the point.. $1400 later and driving out of the service department and I hear the knocking!! I have had the engine mounts replaced and apparently there is nothing wrong with the suspension. They tried to tell me it could be a sound off the tyres... if so wouldnt the same noise be made turning full lock left on take off?? Its extremely frustrating as whenever I have someone else in the car it doesn't happen or it is so slight that they don't notice it... but I can.. Any ideas on what it could be?

Woollie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 SERIES 2
My 2011 SV6 does it as well. 2 knocks and that's it. Doesn't really bother me :)

brockodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
Voodoo Blue 2010 VE SV6 Manual Sedan
My august 2010 build SV6 does it also , mentioned it to the dealership & told it was the abs running thru a self test , so it is either correct or Holden have told the dealers to feed this to everyone who asks just to shut them up , I'm not sure of his name but i recall we had a Holden technician in the forum , maybe he can shed some light .

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I have been going insane with the knocking sound in front RH side of my MY09 VE 60th, it only happens when the car is cold and turning right taking off, and only just for a few moments. Apparently the Holden Service Manager took my car home so he could listen for it off a cold start, only to find out he can't hear the knocking... and looked at me like I was just a stupid woman when arguing the point.. $1400 later and driving out of the service department and I hear the knocking!! I have had the engine mounts replaced and apparently there is nothing wrong with the suspension. They tried to tell me it could be a sound off the tyres... if so wouldnt the same noise be made turning full lock left on take off?? Its extremely frustrating as whenever I have someone else in the car it doesn't happen or it is so slight that they don't notice it... but I can.. Any ideas on what it could be?
Yer any unexplained noise sends me into detective mode. I'm not sure exactly what your noise would be but its in the same vicinty as the ABS/ESP self-test cluck-clunk!
Since you say that it only appears when the engine is cold is puzzling. If your noise is two consecutive knocks (clunks) that sound directly in front of the driver around the engine bay area then is a normal ( well VE normal ) noise, however, the ABS/ESP self-test is reset when ever the car is turned off. Meaning you should hear the two clunks everytime you restart and take-off. It normally performs the self-test at around 20-30Kmh.
In my car the clunk-clunk volume does vary (or maybe the radio is too loud) and I sometime don't notice at every re-start.

If your dealer has checked your suspension then the only other thing is that RHF shock is faulty and giving some noise when cold...

mint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE
Holden design noises like this into the car in order that when the real problems start, they are disguised as "normal".

Nothing unusual, move along.

lozzascommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60TH MY09
Thanks guys, I guess ill just learn to live with it LOL