Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

knocking noise

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
i can hear my lifters ticking like a bitch but when idling i can hear like a really bad knocking noise and also when u rev it quickly.
iv changed the oil recently to 30w 60 hpr 30.
still knocks and oil light comes on after a about 15 minutes of driving at idle.
anything to solve this or should i be getting new lifters soon?
would this stop not only the ticking but the knocking? and maybe get correct oil pressure? so the light would stop coming on?

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Sounds like you have an oil pressure issue mate.....Could be a blocked oil pick up. How long has it been since the oil change?? Holden V8's have been known to not pick up the oil after an oil change! First thing is first, you need to get a manual oil pressure gauge and check what sort of oil pressure it has. Don't run it long, an engine with low/no oil pressure will destroy itself in minutes! Although, i would say the damage is already done.....

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
It could be the oil pump has insufficient pressure due to a blockage or the pump itself.

Too late again.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
i can hear my lifters ticking like a bitch but when idling i can hear like a really bad knocking noise and also when u rev it quickly.
iv changed the oil recently to 30w 60 hpr 30.
still knocks and oil light comes on after a about 15 minutes of driving at idle.
anything to solve this or should i be getting new lifters soon?
would this stop not only the ticking but the knocking? and maybe get correct oil pressure? so the light would stop coming on?

*shudders*

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN SS 5.0
Sounds like you have an oil pressure issue mate.....Could be a blocked oil pick up. How long has it been since the oil change?? Holden V8's have been known to not pick up the oil after an oil change! First thing is first, you need to get a manual oil pressure gauge and check what sort of oil pressure it has. Don't run it long, an engine with low/no oil pressure will destroy itself in minutes! Although, i would say the damage is already done.....

iv changed the oil a few weeks ago since i put the engine back in with other oil that wasnt too good. im thinking i should replace the oil pickup soon. the oil pumps fine. i checked it.
cheers for that.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Replace the oil pick up soon?? Are you crazy mate?? You realise what no oil pressure does to an engine.....Keep driving it and it will be dead very soon! But, like i said the motor is more than likely stuffed already.

Just had a look at your ride thread, when you had the motor out did you clean any gunk out of the valley etc.??? If so, thats what has caused the problem. All that gunk will have gone into the sump and clogged the oil pick up!

I think you will be up for a rebuild......

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
You live in Perth eh, you wouldnt happen to live around the north like Joondalup or so ?

89 vn

Reaction score
Members Ride
89 VN Exec, 94 VR SS
I live near Joondalup and work there right near Centregay