Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Known Gen III Issues

F

Fagio

Hi guys.. I'm in the market for a used VU SS ute and know of one that is priced for a good sale however its got 250000km on the clock. Just wondering if anybody has any experience with high kilometer Gen III engines and how they hold up.. Any infomation would be greatly appreciated..

Many thanks

Wade

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Wow, how much r they asking for it?

I wouldn't know how they go with high ks, but has it go full service history etc? ? ?

F

Fagio

Well its one of those "i'd like to see how much I'd get for it' it sorta of deals.. I've since found out a little more about it.. It does have a service history and no major problems have ever come up. As for a price, well now I'm not so sure whether he is selling or just stuffing me round.

I don't know too much about the LS1 engine (I've owned Ford's previously). I know some had some slapping issues and some oil feed issues but Holden seem good to fix those. Anyway I've got to get back to work. This site is amazing, full of info (sadly not what I want to know though)..

Cheers,
Wade

VTSSDUDE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 5.7L Commodore.
That car has done some driving. I thought my VT SS had some kays on it.
Try and get to the car or ute first thing in the morning when the motor is cold.
Start it up. See if you can hear any knocking sounds. That would be a first sign. Or their could a slight knocking sound and it could go away after a few seconds.
I have heard some people say that their Gen IIIs sound like tractor engines all the time and don't get any oil usage problems. Is the vechile a private seller or car yard. Try and find out, whether or not is is using oil between the oil changes. Take it for a good 10 minute drive out on the highway and see what colour the exhaust is and that. Mine is grey after highway driving. So that is usually a good sign of an engine not burning oil.

Is this

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
Is this true? I have read and heard numerous times that if an Gen 111 is driven hard repeatedly and for long periods, because of a design flaw, the motor gets starved of oil and tend to suffer severe problems. Although I can't recall seeing a post on here that relates to this problem. I remember Holden's answer was something along the lines of " It's not a racecar and if driven correctly the motor is very reliable and has no oil feed problems"
The Article I read about this related to the problems people were having with their Monaros they were thrashing the guts out of and the motors were failing.
Does anyone recall seeing his article or other like it?

speed_freak

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive 3.8 Eco
im not to sure about the car side of it but nearly every guy ive talked to that owns or knows someone who owns a new model boat fitted with the Gen III has had problems with something or other so yeh id take care in picking what to get