Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kw/rwkw

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
i just thought id share an interesting fact with you guys, when Holden advertise KW for their cars it is the perfect kw reading, when they do the test there is no power steering, no water pump, no alternator, they even add back into the final reading or energy lost due to heat, they add in what was lost in friction, anything that takes power from the engine is powered externally, when you buy the car and do the test the RWKW will usually be about 2 thirds of what they advertise it as. so the 297kw might only be 199rwkw but in that case probabley more like 240, im basing this on when a car is brought and had a dyno test and then compare that to say, the info on the holden site it shows a much different result, so if you or anyone you know buys a car and then gets a bit worried why its not getting what it claims it should be putting out that is probabley the reason.

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Yep flywheel kw and rear wheel kw, you also see this in a game called Gran Turismo

N

nevrl*

Disappointed

Yeh,I bought new a Vy SV8 and had it dyno tested as I originally thought it lacked power but it was still running in.It pulled 164RWKW which was pretty ordinary but to cut a long story short I put a decent exhaust,and got edit = yeh baby woo-hoo.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
juzza said:
Yep flywheel kw and rear wheel kw, you also see this in a game called Gran Turismo

yeah its flywheel but all the other stuff taken off like heat extraction, water pump power steerign ect ect

Rmyers

Reaction score
Members Ride
EA falcon
Hmmm never knew that. Does anyone know if ford use the same testing method (ie minus p/s etc)??? I'd imagine they do....

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
It's not the kW that's important, they're useless to me.. now I care about torque :D

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
*shrugs* i measure a car on how hard it can hold you in the seat without spinning the wheels. which mine [stock VS] does nicely. im not into figures.

F

FPVT6

The new BA fords have about a 50-60rwkw loss in the driveline.EXAMPLE
Most XR6t make between 185rwkw to 205rwkw to a factory output of 240 fwkw
Most XT,s make about 135rwkw to factory 182 fwkw
The F6 Typoon makes 220rwkw to factory 270 fwkw
And GT makes about 230rwkw to factory 290 fwkw

Most VZ ss make around 190rwkw to 205rwkw and ive seen a VZ clubby LS2 make 225rwkw.
The is always slight variance in readings on dynos but this is an average.If anythink Fords power ratings are higher than there ratings.Atleast with the XR6 Turbo anyway.
My 2 cents.

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
good 2 cents, torque is what you really want but you need a decent amound of hp to provide the tq