Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Kw/rwkw

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I don't think that's true Stewart, I think you'll find in the OLD red motor days yes that's what Holden and everyone else did, no accessories and a big open exhaust on the back, the old 308 was rated at 240hp but it's not even comparable to the much more powerful 225hp injected 304.

I think you'll find for along time now, maybe right back to the blue motor days the engines have been tested with all accessories and the full stock exhaust installed, there are laws and standards for that kind of thing these days, the 25-30kw a VN looses on the dyno is just a driveline loss, just between you and me I think Holden actually underrates some of their engines. It's well documented that the Series 2-3 VS 304's were underated. Also the original V6 by a quite a few KW. The old engine is only 5kw down on the ecotech on a rear wheel dyno and that doesn't explain the 25kw less it's suppose to have

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
I have heard if Ford tested the power output in the same way Holden do, the listed power would be 10KWs less. Having said that all the above posts are correct. What I would like to know, if someone can inform me, how did Holden previously measure output? Case in point : VK 308 manual - 188kw, Auto 169kw - VL 304 122kw with Holden stating it developed more power than the VK. I just cannot recall the reason given for the difference in the testing.

OzMystic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Clubby
Pretender said:
I have heard if Ford tested the power output in the same way Holden do, the listed power would be 10KWs less. Having said that all the above posts are correct. What I would like to know, if someone can inform me, how did Holden previously measure output? Case in point : VK 308 manual - 188kw, Auto 169kw - VL 304 122kw with Holden stating it developed more power than the VK. I just cannot recall the reason given for the difference in the testing.

There are two different standards for measuring KW
SAE: which I think is an American standard and
DIN: German/European Standard standard.
Holden and most of the German and European cars use DIN which equates to a slightly lower measure. For example a 290KW ford equates to just over 280KW.....

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Before cam edit and zorst my car dyoned at 186rwkw, factory 220fwkw, 34kw difference, i can handle that, after edit zorst cam otrcai now 270rwkw

Stewart1000

work done by ME
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VL twin turbo. VN5L. old jeep, **** mondeo.
greenfoam said:
I don't think that's true Stewart, I think you'll find in the OLD red motor days yes that's what Holden and everyone else did, no accessories and a big open exhaust on the back, the old 308 was rated at 240hp but it's not even comparable to the much more powerful 225hp injected 304.

I think you'll find for along time now, maybe right back to the blue motor days the engines have been tested with all accessories and the full stock exhaust installed, there are laws and standards for that kind of thing these days, the 25-30kw a VN looses on the dyno is just a driveline loss, just between you and me I think Holden actually underrates some of their engines. It's well documented that the Series 2-3 VS 304's were underated. Also the original V6 by a quite a few KW. The old engine is only 5kw down on the ecotech on a rear wheel dyno and that doesn't explain the 25kw less it's suppose to have

thats right but you dont want 400nm with 180kw, that might be a bit of a dog compared to a 350nm with 220kw.