Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L36 VY ecotec 120,000 K Blown head gakset with rusted lipped bores

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
That engine needs a full refresh. Who knows how much watery oil has passed the bearings........

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
no you have to tell him he's doing it wrong first... that way when it does blow up you get to use the old "i told you so"

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
no you have to tell him he's doing it wrong first... that way when it does blow up you get to use the old "i told you so"

Yeah i know, i've told him legit over 15 times DO NOT SAND THE BORES but he thinks it's ok, i mean i did 1 year of engine building and 4 years of mechanics and he didn't even know how to remove the heads untill i showed him how twice , but what would i know right ? lol

The line he keeps saying is , '' if i sand it gently with crc it will be fine '' He doesn't believe in paying others to do the job once and do it right on his car.

elmaso

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS berlina
what are his other solutions to rust removal?

light farts into the cylinders?
i would have raged by now haha

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah i'd walk away from that job if i was you lol... otherwise he's still going to blame you if something goes wrong

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Is he aware of your superior knowledge? If he wont listen to you, wash your hands of it. I'd be saying 'sorry mate, I am not going to waste my time and energy on something that isn't going to last .. do my way or do it alone'.

I think I would be making him do it alone anyway. If he does see the light and does it your way, and something goes wrong... stuff like this can ruin a friendship.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Wow .. 90 thou ? That's heaps ... I'm rebuilding my L36 and that only has 40 thou off ... May go and get 90 thou removed then

yea i got some wild advice from a guy who does v6 speedway cars lol.

i had the intake mani machined to suit and the faces are pretty thin now, but still fits together fine.

i had to measure all the valve train geometry and get resized pushrods. so its not 'just' as easy as slicing a chunk off the head faces. there is some maths involved in ensuring things dont hit stuff internally. Oh, and i had to flycut the pistons to clear the valves too as i have a fair wack of a cam

vscom88

Andrew-
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
That's insane .. what specs are your cam ?

From memory mine is 225 lift i think

yea i got some wild advice from a guy who does v6 speedway cars lol.

i had the intake mani machined to suit and the faces are pretty thin now, but still fits together fine.

i had to measure all the valve train geometry and get resized pushrods. so its not 'just' as easy as slicing a chunk off the head faces. there is some maths involved in ensuring things dont hit stuff internally. Oh, and i had to flycut the pistons to clear the valves too as i have a fair wack of a cam