Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L67 oil pressure issue.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I doubt it's something you did if it's dropped pressure after the first start up then it's most likely something has gone wrong during assembly. Interesting that there was a log of assembly lube in the filter.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
The motor had been sitting for a few years after the rebuild. It all went old and hard I'm assuming. Supposedly had new rings, guides, bearings and sleeves. Block and heads were machined(although its using existing pushrods?) and gaskets are all new too.
Very expensive paperweight at this stage.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Oh I should probably add that the sound goes away under load.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Dropped the oil out today. Doing my head in now. Haven't put any miles on this thing yet. Looks cooked. Any advice?
download_20200411_181002_1.jpg

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
That's the 3rd lot of oil through it.
It's well over my head now.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You have a very short window to bed in the rings after a rebuild, if done wrong the rings wont shape to the cylinder walls, get a compression test done as well as a wet test to see if the valves ant the issue, Also why 60 weight it will lift the pressure but will reduce lubrication if the big end bearings and journals ant warn.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
hope u are using a run in oil and not synthetic for a fresh engine, should be like a 10-40 as mentioned the 60 is thick

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
He's had a lots of shiny metal bits come out. Encouraging him to keep running it is just going to do more damage and might grenade the engine. The only logical suggestion is to pull the motor and check for damage.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Sadly there is no "Wynns just add crap" in bottle to solve this issue, that's for sure.

As Mort has suggested this WILL be a remove engine and open it up to see what's really happening here.

One thing I will say is that so many people don't do anything with their lifters apart from dropping them into a container of petrol or equivalent cleaning solvent. All that does is cleans the outside and as many members on here can testify I've had a bit to do with lifters as of late. There is so much crap lodged inside a used lifter and it's not until you open one up and see what's inside that you realise how important it is to clean them out meticulously when you have access to them.

I just recently did the Valley gaskets on a 98,000Km from new engine and I decided to pull all the lifters out while I had the top end apart and most of those lifters were very stuck indeed with crud and all sorts of ramifications due to bad servicing. I spent many hours going through each lifter, disassembling each one and thoroughly cleaning each one out and then re-assembling them and soaking them all in oil. Also putting each one back into it's original position. When that engine was fired back up it clacked for about 10 seconds and since then is the sweetest running Ecotec I've heard in years.

So yes Lifters in top condition certainly plays a huge role in correct engine function.......................but then so does every other component I guess.

King_berald

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Out she comes. Good times. Never count your eggs boys.