Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

l67 statesman

crazstaat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman III
sounds like a metalicy sound coming from the supercharger any ideas on what it could be thanks

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
how long has it been doing it?

any noticable changes in performance?

rattling sound can be cause by either worn bearings causing the rotors to hit, my old charger did this

or in the snout theres a coupler that connects the snout to the rotor gears that could be worn giving the knocking sounds

crazstaat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman III
i think it could be both does it cost much to replace these items ?? cuz its kinda like a knocking and grinding sound

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
could be the rotors have worn on the end plates are are shreading metal thru ur engine

u'll need to feed us a little more info mate, when did it start happening, is it constant, do u do regular servicing, have you changed the oil in the charger? any other info on how the car is performing would be good too.

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
how manys ks has it done? any mods ie smaller pulley etc

if you take the belt off running the charger, rock the pully back and forth and check for slop, if theres play moneys on the coupler

from memory theyre about 30bucks whether you replace it yourself or not depends how confident you are.. its a pretty straight forward and easy job to do

if its the bearings theres a chance the rotors have lost their coating aswell then your better of replacing the charger completely

the bearings arnt a 5 minute job you need someone with a press and the knowhow

crazstaat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman III
yea its pretty constant its been doing it since i bought it a couple of months ago i regualary service it its done 238,000 havent checked the supercharger oil

crazstaat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman III
i actually did try that took the belt off its got like a bit of slack when i turn the charger snout left not sure if its supposed to do that

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
try giving it a few quick revs and see if it quietens it aswell, with the front bearings gone in myne it would settle with a rev but at a constant speed get louder

crazstaat

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Statesman III
na u cant hear it at a constant speed more or less on idle

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
i actually did try that took the belt off its got like a bit of slack when i turn the charger snout left not sure if its supposed to do that

in that case its most likely the coupler.. i got 270thousand ksm out of the original bearing in the first charger

The black round piece is the coupler as you can see there is 6 holes in it, 3 holes take by the dowels on the snout shaft
IMG_0656.jpg

and this is where it goes onto the charger

IMG_0648.jpg