Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L77 Cam Self Install

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Okay just an update got heads on and torqued man that was hard the rear bolts getting the 90 then 70 degree turns… Now im trying to work out how to install these rocker arms correctly a little confused as to what order and if they can all just be bolted down and torqued at once ?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
check pushrod length just encase, then rotate crank so both are on TDC compression stroke number 1 so both will be closed then install rockers for that cyl they only torque to like 20 flb or so i think, then rotate little further so u can do same to cyl 2 and so on, it's best to fit them up without open spring pressure on them

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
check pushrod length just encase, then rotate crank so both are on TDC compression stroke number 1 so both will be closed then install rockers for that cyl they only torque to like 20 flb or so i think, then rotate little further so u can do same to cyl 2 and so on, it's best to fit them up without open spring pressure on them
Right ok so the concept is to torque them down when spring is depressed?
Can you torque them in this order cylinder 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8?

i get now how the lifters sit in the cam and connect to pushrods and lift then in a certain order that’s interesting understanding what does what! So I’m guessing the pushrods should sit in different positions now without rockers bolted down?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
its when spring is not pressed u want least pressure on them for tightening the rockers, yep make sure pushrod are in the center cups as u go, u can follow the firing order as u turn the crank, keep spark plugs out to help rotating then once all done rotate to make sure all ok

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Too late now. But if you don't have time to soak lifters overnight, you force oil down the top with the ol' oil can until it comes out the little hole on the side (oil feed hole).

Doesn't really matter which way the feed hole sits. But have heard of people installing feed hole AWAY from the oil gallery feed as it can slow the bleed down rate.
For Harley lifters anyway, and they look exactly the same as your picture.

Jackv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SS-V II
Too late now. But if you don't have time to soak lifters overnight, you force oil down the top with the ol' oil can until it comes out the little hole on the side (oil feed hole).

Doesn't really matter which way the feed hole sits. But have heard of people installing feed hole AWAY from the oil gallery feed as it can slow the bleed down rate.
For Harley lifters anyway, and they look exactly the same as your picture.
Yes I soaked the lifters, pushrods, springs for 2 days! Good to know what those holes are for now cheers mate :cool:
Update torqued down rockers while rotating crank now I understand
Now I think I’m good so i can start to re assemble

Reactions: Lex

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
did u check pushrod length ? from the point the rocker was against the pushrod and valve with no play how many turns did the rocker bolt take to do up ? thats a simple way to check pre load

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yes I soaked the lifters, pushrods, springs for 2 days! Good to know what those holes are for now cheers mate :cool:
Update torqued down rockers while rotating crank now I understand
Now I think I’m good so i can start to re assemble
Soaking lifters is just to get air out and speed up the oil pressure filling the slack. Once bubbles stop you can install, but nothing wrong with overdoing it.
No need to soak pushrods/springs (although no harm in soaking them) you could dip in oil before installing, or when finishing assembly pour 1/2 litre of engine oil over rockers/springs etc before putting rocker covers back on.