Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VCM Cam Package Includ DOD delete (l77)

Commoboi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
Hey Lads,

Looking to purchase a complete VCM (or similar) cam package including DOD kit and have a crack installing it myself with dad. Only cause i've been getting quotes of $4-7k from a few shops.

My l77 already has an OTR, headers and full 3" inch exhaust with a tune, but looking to finish it off.

Ive had my eyes on this https://vcmstore.com.au/products/vcm-performamce-ve-vf-dod-cam-package?_pos=7&_sid=78d5525b1&_ss=r but if anyone else can recommend any other full kits with a DOD delete that would be awesome!

Would i be missing anything from these kits or worth buying extra to do while she's wide open already?

Once its all in i will also need to drive it (carefully) to the shops for a new tune.

appreciate it!

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Hey Lads,

Looking to purchase a complete VCM (or similar) cam package including DOD kit and have a crack installing it myself with dad. Only cause i've been getting quotes of $4-7k from a few shops.

My l77 already has an OTR, headers and full 3" inch exhaust with a tune, but looking to finish it off.

Ive had my eyes on this https://vcmstore.com.au/products/vcm-performamce-ve-vf-dod-cam-package?_pos=7&_sid=78d5525b1&_ss=r but if anyone else can recommend any other full kits with a DOD delete that would be awesome!

Would i be missing anything from these kits or worth buying extra to do while she's wide open already?

Once its all in i will also need to drive it (carefully) to the shops for a new tune.

appreciate it!
I'm in about the same place as you. The only other thing I plan to do is the rocker trunnion upgrade.
I'd be interested to hear how you go.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Here's everything I used for mine last year. The timing chain and gear from rollmaster is serious quality, i would seriously consider that over the gm gen 3 ls stuff.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Also since you're in there, I'd do these gaskets too
Cam retainer plate 12589016
Timing cover gasket 12633904 Crankshaft seal 29602
Intake manifold gaskets ACDELCO 19256623
Water pump gaskets 251663

Ramz

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1 VF SS Ute
I had the VCM kit installed in my L77 after it shat #4 cyl lifter at 177,000 km and essentially rooted my camshaft. Had a local shop here in perth fit it and they did the lifter trunnion bearing upgrade as well, came out to $5800 supply fit and tune, have OTR, Xforce headers and 3” catback, getting roughly 400 rwhp on 98.
The ute sounds great and even though the VCM532 cam was most conservative it has a wicked lope at idle, overall I’m pretty happy with the result. I can definitely recommend the VCM package, if you and your old boy are going to do the labour yourself then we’ll worth it.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
Hey Lads,

appreciate it!
doing it yourself is a fun job i love doing cam swaps.

How many kms on engine???

I'd do oil pump and 25% underdive pulley at same time. I bought my parts from america and saved a heap of $$$ texas speed, speed inc and summit are good shops.

always check lifter preload always found(using compcams) longer pushrods required

AMack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Commodore
Beginning of the year had a lifter/s go and replaced with Street Fighter kits. Full kitchen sink thrown at it. Cam Stage 3 CAM2 , LS7, DOD, Heavy duty valve springs, Recon'd Cyclinder heads due to bent valve, OTR, tune, new oil pump, Timing gear, 4x new coil, leads, spark plugs All up about 11k worth of work.

Only thing left is exhaust cat back and pulling 296kwrw at the moment on xforce 1 5/8" headers and 100 cell cats.

Only gripe is that is mechanically noisy and think thats due to the headers.