Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L77 dod filter

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Has any one replaced the little filter under the oil pressure switch ? If so why and was it dirty ? Did it make any difference ?

oztech007

Reaction score
Members Ride
15 VE SSV 6.0t V8 A6 SEDAN
This is interesting. I have been thinking the same thing. Do you clean it or leave it until there is a problem and then clean it. My view is that when a problem starts happening, it's too late to clean as the damage is done. Would be interesting to see what others think.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
I have purchased one this week and going to change it this weekend.
I have a little bit of lifter noise, and was thinking maybe a lack of oil, where the oil and engine filter has been changed as per schedule.
But was thinking at 150,000k/m and the DOD filter hasn’t been changed to my knowledge, and it’s not been noted on my service receipts of being changed.
So I figured, I will do it myself, yesterday I purchased the deep 27mm 6point socket to remove the pressure switch, so I will have a go on the weekend.
I will take a photo after it as been removed so you can see the condition it’s in.

Last edited:

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Looking forward to results Krusing to see weather it quiets thing down .

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hi All, I changed the DOD Filter today [Saturday] and noticed that the lifters were a bit quieter, especially at idle.
Been for a few road tests and it is running quieter.

Very simple to do,
Items required -
Patience [Don't Rush it]
27mm 6point 1/2 drive Deep Socket [$18 at Bunning's]
1/2 drive universal
1/2 drive ratchet
1/2 drive Tension wrench recommended [to re-fit the pressure switch at 35nm]
Thread sealant [I used a little bit of Gasket Cement on the thread]
7mm long Allen Key as per image below [to remove the old OD Filter - have explain below]
Last but not least, replacement filter [that's if you wish to replace it]
  1. Inspect the area with a mirror, or similar [where I used my phone camera] so you know were you are working, most of it will need to be done by feel, as it is right down at the back of the motor below view.
  2. Remove the wiring loom by sliding the locking tab up, and pressing on the tab, and carefully remove the plug.
  3. Assemble the Ratchet, Universal and Deep Socket, and slide it down the back of the valley and remove the pressure switch, keeping in mind its a right hand tread.
  4. Use the 7mm Long Allen Key, and place into the top of old DOD Filter and press it in a little way say 5mm [don't press it in to far]
  5. While the Allen Key is in the old DOD filter, twist the DOD filter either way a little bit to loosen it,
  6. Then lift the old filter out of the housing, and it should come out attached to the Allen Key as per image below [as the Allen Key is the perfect size for a neat fit in the centre of the DOD Filter].
  7. Clean the work area as per image below [DOD filter housing area, careful not to let any dirt drop in the hole]
  8. If your re-using the old filter, clean it with de-greaser, wash it clean with water, and dry it off with compressed air.
  9. Re-fit the DOD Filter, best to use 3 fingers, one to locate the housing, the other two to hold the filter tight, [because you wont want to drop it behind the motor]
  10. Or, place the DOD filter on the Allen Key a little bit, locate the hole, and use the Allen Key to place it in the hole, then with one finger on the top of the DOD Filter, slide the Allen Key out.
  11. Grab the Allen Key and use that to make sure its all the way in by pressing down lightly on the top ridge of the filter.
  12. Clean the thread up on the pressure switch
  13. Apply thread sealer,
  14. And carefully manipulate the pressure switch back into the housing by hand [careful NOT to cross thread it] you will feel it screw into the thread, and keep screwing it in by hand.
  15. Then nip it up with the ratchet, or ratchet tension wrench. [to 35nm]
  16. Re-connect the plug, and slide the locking tab back into position.
There was one thing I did notice, it appeared that the stainless steel gauze/filter material was much finer on the old filter, than the replacement filter,
So the replacement filter will allow more oil pass through,
I am guessing it should quieten it down a bit with more oil available to the lifters.
I cleaned the old filter in degreaser, and have kept the old one, as its in still in good condition, and wasn't damaged when removed.
Total time taken approx. 1/2 hour. [for installing a new one]

Attachments

• IMG_7978.jpg
    IMG_7978.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,100
  • IMG_7979.jpg
    IMG_7979.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 1,143
  • IMG_7985.jpg
    IMG_7985.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,004
  • IMG_7983.jpg
    IMG_7983.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 994
  • IMG_7984.jpg
    IMG_7984.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,054
  • Valve Lifter Pressure Switch and DOD Filter.pdf
    64.5 KB · Views: 592
Last edited:

Wayne001

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf calais
Cheers for detailed result nd handy hints . Do you think the mesh being not as fine will let some debris through ?

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cheers for detailed result nd handy hints . Do you think the mesh being not as fine will let some debris through ?

Personally I shouldn't think so, but the new one was still a fine gauze/mesh material,
I could be wrong, but old one had been in there for 7 years to my knowledge,
on the other hand, being a NEW filter I installed,
it may be letting more oil through, because it didn't have any oil silt on it.
Where if you were thinking of replacing yours, maybe do a remove, clean and re-fit first, as see how it goes.
Where the new one did cost $8.61 on eBay, and $9.50 postage [with tracking] [not cheap, but is was a OEM part]
Keeping in mind the oil has to pass through the Engine Oil Filter first, before it gets pumped up to lifters.
I did change the Engine Oil and Filter last weekend [18/5/2019] in readiness for Next Friday [31/5/2019], as I have a trip to Swan Hill for work, which is a 5 hour drive either way, so that will be a good run, and will see if it has made any difference as there will be a lot oil passed around the internals of the motor after a 10 hour+ round trip.

Last edited:

BEEVEE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ADVENTRA 5.7, FE 1957 SEDAN, EH 202 SEDAN, OLDS
Hey krusing ........... SUCH helpful advice; thanks a million ! ......... cant wait to try it

Tell me please, which galleries, and to where, are you leaving un-filtered oil get to, if we leave the DOD Filter out (not re-fit) ?

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey krusing ........... SUCH helpful advice; thanks a million ! ......... cant wait to try it

Tell me please, which galleries, and to where, are you leaving un-filtered oil get to, if we leave the DOD Filter out (not re-fit) ?

Galleries to the Lifters I guess,
I would say being its installed for the AFM, but what's to say they didn't installed them in ALL the Later V8's,
I'm only guessing, it could be there, or one similar, worth a look I recon.

Last edited: