Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 bad idle and no oil pressure after lifter replacement

dcm88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0
Hi all, I've recently replaced the lifters on my L98 with Johnson HYLIFT lifters after my previous LS7 lifters went bad. I'd never done lifters before but figured I'd done it correctly, I bought new lifter trays and bolts however when I installed the lifters I didn't slot them into the trays, instead aligning them after I'd put them in the bores. When I put everything back together and started it for the first time it was a little rough for a few seconds but after it built oil pressure was running mint. I turned it off to go get changed and buy some more coolant to top it up. When I came back to take it on it's maiden voyage and started it up, it ran pretty rough and got 0kpa oil pressure. I turned it off straight away and thought maybe I was just imagining things but when I started it up again I got no oil pressure and now it sounds super rough. My question is have I stuffed up by not slotting the lifters into the trays? Why would it run perfectly and then suddenly start running like trash? Has anyone possibly had a similar experience? I've pretty much resigned myself to ripping the heads off again but maybe there's something I missed?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I’d be doing it all again.
Paying a lot of attention to taking things slow and careful.

dcm88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0
I’d be doing it all again.
Paying a lot of attention to taking things slow and careful.
yeah, it seems that is going to be the case. An expensive and frustrating lesson after all is said and done.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
did u check preload as the johnson lifters are different to the LS7 ? usually the lifters clip into the trays facing the right direction and then u slide them in and secure the trays and then are all good

dcm88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0
did u check preload as the johnson lifters are different to the LS7 ? usually the lifters clip into the trays facing the right direction and then u slide them in and secure the trays and then are all good
yeah, I measured the preload and got 7.350" pushrods to suit. I thought I had the lifters all aligned with the trays as they went in, but like I said I didn't slot them into the trays I lined them up after I put them in the bores. I think that was my critical error. I knew I should have just gotten link bar lifters and saved myself this drama.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
still not sure how u have lost oil pressure, even if they are in backwards or something they are still sealing the bores and there oiling is based on it being within the lifter which stays the same no matter its orientation only the lifter itself may not get proper oil to fill but that wouldnt cause no pressure, maby just rip em out again just to check everything as u havnt done damage yet hopefully turning it off quick so best to check, the johnson lifters are good so once its right will be fine