Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 high-mileage oil

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Hey JC,

I see a lot of folks with V8 VEs here are running 5w30, some (primarily people with internal mods) are running higher (from 10w40 - 20w60).
My motor is stock apart from LS7 lifters. It's very high miles (coming up on 300k), but runs extremely well and has been maintained meticulously.
I have no strange noises, performance is great. Starts smooth, runs well hot.

That said...
Oil light on very hot days when sitting in traffic for extended periods, at idle only (goes away on slight rev).
Built-in sensor reads 13.8PSI on (very) hot idle (~700rpm) with 5w30 full synth.
This seems low, however according to the dealer manual, this is within spec (13PSI minimum). Makes great pressure with revs, within spec the whole way.

The question:
Time to switch to 5w40?

Had a quick search and didn't find any definitive info on this specific topic.
Thanks to anyone with info.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
No harm in switching to something like penrite hpr 10 (10w50) mine has half the kms that yours does and switched to the hpr 10 last oil change and all is well with it only noticeable difference is slightly higher oil pressure

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Definitely go with 5W/40 and see how that goes if you still get oil light the 10W/50 won’t hurt

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Thanks for the answers guys, gonna go with the 5w40 from Penrite tomorrow.

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
could even be the oil pressure switch getting old and reading lower, if u notice it still going lower id prob look into that
Reading has been very stable when I've logged the readings over the past service period. It's a possibility for sure, though as it's old.
The pressure light doesn't trigger on days under 28°, and even then only in stop-start traffic for extended periods.

If the 5w40 doesn't resolve it I will get a mechanical gauge to double-check (due for oil anyway).

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
usually the 20-25psi is the norm for LS hot idle, if its triggering the low pressure warning then its very low so keep an eye on it, are u looking at the center digital oil pressure display or is it a scanner ? just some use the calculated oil pressure even tho there is an actual sensor

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
usually the 20-25psi is the norm for LS hot idle, if its triggering the low pressure warning then its very low so keep an eye on it, are u looking at the center digital oil pressure display or is it a scanner ? just some use the calculated oil pressure even tho there is an actual sensor
This is when using the electronic pressure sensor the motor is fitted with from factory.
It is within spec, spec shown below.
(running ~13.8psi@700rpm)

Attachments

• PSX_20240206_175212.png
    PSX_20240206_175212.png
    96 KB · Views: 37

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
It'll likely be bleeding pressure off in the cam bearings.
Only step up to a 10w-40.
Going higher will just slow the oil down from getting to the lifters and rockers.