Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 high-mileage oil

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lifter noise is definitely cause for concern though, all the OEM lifters even the LS7s are basically made of cheese.
Don't know who told you that. The same lifters are in the early V6 and go 450k and happily bleed down and tap away for 30-40 seconds on start up and not implode.

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Don't know who told you that. The same lifters are in the early V6 and go 450k and happily bleed down and tap away for 30-40 seconds on start up and not implode.
The early (by which you mean Buick/Ecotec)V6 is not the LS.
Gen III-IV motors are known for lifter failure for a reason.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Gen III-IV LS motors are known for lifter failure for a reason.
My point being they are the same lifters.

vu2001

Reaction score
Members Ride
vu ls1 m6 s-pack
I listened to the internet and tried Penrite 10W-60 for a few changes in my L98. Engine hated it. Ran hot and felt sluggish. 5W-30 suits my application better.

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I listened to the internet and tried Penrite 10W-60 for a few changes in my L98. Engine hated it. Ran hot and felt sluggish. 5W-30 suits my application better.
If anyone is curious why this is; putting a fluid under pressure increases its temperature. More pressure, more friction, more temperature. Anyone who knows about building motors, especially for drag applications, can tell you more about this.
For example:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Gen III-IV motors are known for lifter failure for a reason.
And the solution to LS lifter failure is generally to go with the LS7 lifters instead. Dunno where you get the idea that the LS7 lifters are “cheese”.

WreckWren

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
And the solution to LS lifter failure is generally to go with the LS7 lifters instead. Dunno where you get the idea that the LS7 lifters are “cheese”.
There are a lot of reports of LS7 lifter failure, even out of the box. A simple google search yields hundreds of results. I recommend researching the topic if you're interested.
The Johnson lifters are generally regarded as the option for people who want reliability.

Redline457

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF1 6.6 Litre Stroker SSVR A6
Reality is we don’t have “very cold starts” in Australia, not like its minus 20 here like the northern USA