Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

L98 oil penrite 5W50 cold tapping

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
Hi all. Did a oil change a couple of weeks ago on my caprice and used penrites' new 5w50. I was reluctant to go the Castrol 10w60 as my car is stock and only got 65000kms on it. Now she was a bit tappy before the change, nothing extreme, sounded like a lazy lifter to me. Now with this new oil when cold it's silent for a few seconds and when the revs drop back down I can hear a lifter tap tap tap. It's pritty quiet when hot. Anyone got recommendations. Try something with a thicker cold weight like the 10w60 or a thinner like 0w40.

ozNick

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Berlina 3.0 Auto
Have you tried the what the handbook recommends?
Try using Penrite 5W/30 Dexos and report back.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hi all. Did a oil change a couple of weeks ago on my caprice and used penrites' new 5w50. I was reluctant to go the Castrol 10w60 as my car is stock and only got 65000kms on it. Now she was a bit tappy before the change, nothing extreme, sounded like a lazy lifter to me. Now with this new oil when cold it's silent for a few seconds and when the revs drop back down I can hear a lifter tap tap tap. It's pritty quiet when hot. Anyone got recommendations. Try something with a thicker cold weight like the 10w60 or a thinner like 0w40.

always run 10w60 edge in my L98 no tapping etc, inour afm L76 I run 5w30 due to noisier lifters

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
Everyone really does do something different. Alot of posts I e read they swear by 10w60 while others swear by 10w40 and 5w30....decisions decisions. Autobahn has a oil sale this wknd too...

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Everyone really does do something different. Alot of posts I e read they swear by 10w60 while others swear by 10w40 and 5w30....decisions decisions. Autobahn has a oil sale this wknd too...

yep, the 5w50 should be fine but if the change of oil has made more noise change back.

I bought a vy clubsport years ago with mobil 1 rattled heaps, the 10W40 magantec was great not rattles and stopped burning oil

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
My 2c after tinkering with cars for +30years... I would never use Penrite... don't like it, don't trust it, heard too many horror stories and seen personally mates engine after using their crap for 50,000km. :upyours:

L98's like most 6liters(Excluding LS2/3's in the HSV's..) are not prone to rattling/lifter noise and Holden/GM recommends 5w30 Dexos, so dump that **** out.... run some oil flush in it first and get either the recommended 5w30 or 5w40 in a pinch... Mineral, Semi or Full synthetic is your choice depending how often you change the oil.

Good luck

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
I just got back from Autobahn, picked up some Castrol edge titanium 5w30. I'll keep you posted... The only dextos oils they had were the pentrite enviro 5w30 (but I wanted to try a different brand) and Mobil 1 but that was 100 clams a bottle so Castrol edge it was....

UjisCaprice

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice MY08
Hi,
All is going well, seems quieter at cold than the penrite, still had a slight tap for aboit a minute but I'm not too concerned. Runs well when warm. Overall very happy, won't be going back to the 5w50.