Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lack of torque

Metalhed666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6
Hi all. First time poster. I am picking up my new VF11 SV6 manual around April. This is my first Commodore. I have spent my life driving Falcons (sorry) and I'm a little underwhelmed by the lack of low down grunt in the V6. Plenty of horsepower but not much torque. Any suggestions on how to improve it a bit? I'm not trying to turn it into a 10 second street car just want that bit of extra punch off the line. Obviously the exaust is a place to start. Was thinking just a cat back. But does it help much? Saw something on here about someone fitting the V8 exaust. Does it fit and does it make any difference? Any advice would be marvellous.
Cheers.

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
If you really want torque you should have considered the purchase of a V8 even then some new owners are far from satisfied !!!!

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Forced induction is your best choice but a taller diff (numerically) is not a bad option for a little better feel down low.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Without spending a fortune, an OTR CAI, a less restrictive exhaust and a tune will see a marked improvement. You'll also get used to the different power delivery. My Redline is putting out more RWKW than a 340 Clubby and yet I have no trouble stepping into the SV6 to drive around. The SIDI's like to rev, so rev it. I find the mid range torque quite good. As you said they make plenty of power for a six and perform quite well in a car that weighs in excess of 1800kg.

frogsta

Perth WA
Reaction score
Members Ride
Focus ST E30
I used to be a six cylinder guy
But yeah, exhaust and such helps but I noticed it's more top end so won't help torque wise really...?
Lower diff gears is a good point and yeah, supercharger for lower end torque as opposed to turbo if you want F.I. I guess

And they actually do quite well for a 6 cylinder as stated above, almost keep up with my 6MPS when it was stock

Metalhed666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6
Without spending a fortune, an OTR CAI, a less restrictive exhaust and a tune will see a marked improvement. You'll also get used to the different power delivery. My Redline is putting out more RWKW than a 340 Clubby and yet I have no trouble stepping into the SV6 to drive around. The SIDI's like to rev, so rev it. I find the mid range torque quite good. As you said they make plenty of power for a six and perform quite well in a car that weighs in excess of 1800kg.

What's OTR CAI?

Metalhed666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SV6
I owned an XR6 Turbo for almost a decade which made a mountian of torque at only 1900 rpm. Might need to learn how to drive the SV6. Although I will look at doing the exaust from the cat back because they are pretty quiet. Any suggestions other than XForce?

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
I had full exhaust, otr, cams and diff on my SIDI and also had it tuned to rev through to 7k. As 426Cuda said you've got to rev them hard to get the best out of them.

Oh and a Vitesse throttle controller to circumvent the drive by wire linear power feel was a good cheap add on.

Last edited: