Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Last few wires left!

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
There is 1 big red wire that goes to the fuses on the separate little box, and the other big red wire runs to the alternator, the one that goes to the fuses runs off the battery terminal (so does the alternator wire) then down the loom a little bit under the tape and then loops back around and comes back out again so it look like the loom has 3 red wires when it only has two. The loom they run into is part of the engine loom.

vktorana

Reaction score
Members Ride
efi 202 torana, vk project car!
The fuseable link on (red wire) i just bolted to the front of the fuseable link case via the bolt and the other heavy red wire runs to the either the ALT or the starter, what sort of end has it got if its a L shape with a hole in it it will be starter other wise the ALT has a flat metal end with a hole and a small rubber boot to cover it up hope this helps cheers

Um well ok I know one goes to the fusible link but which side is the front? Ok the other one has the same sort of eye connection on the end which is why I tried it on the fusible link. So where do I connect it?

vktorana

Reaction score
Members Ride
There is 1 big red wire that goes to the fuses on the separate little box, and the other big red wire runs to the alternator, the one that goes to the fuses runs off the battery terminal (so does the alternator wire) then down the loom a little bit under the tape and then loops back around and comes back out again so it look like the loom has 3 red wires when it only has two. The loom they run into is part of the engine loom.

Ok so where do I connect it? The one that follows from the engine towards the battery etc where do I connect it?

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
You should have only 1 spare red wire, it should be the one that originally ran to the fuse box, so run it to the new fuse panel. If you look at my V6 conversion page the first pic show the donor VP, you can see your little red wire in front of the power steering reservoir and the little fuse panel it originally went to in front of the large fuse panel on the car. You cant really see the wiring in an of my pictures though, but im sure youll work it out.

vktorana

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hang on mate... Na shouldn't be any spare cos I'm using the whole vn loom so just want to connect it up how it was in the vn.

weston

Holden VH V6 Commodore
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH Commodore
Project vh

Looking at the fuseable links fron standing by the drivers guard the writing on the cover should be the right way up (i.e the 30amp blower fuse should be closest to you) as for the other wire there should be a metal end that has a hole in it and bent half way along at 90 degrees. If you are still having trouble go to my pics on the street commodore site forum page look up "project vh" there on page 3 half way down in a pic of the fuseable link that VK3800 sent me of his as i was confused with it at one stage.
From memory the heavey red wire runs off the battery down to a join that one bit runs to the fuseable links and the other end runs to the starter as half way down the loom about where the water pump pully sits it should branch off up to the ALT.

vktorana

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok cheers dude. Il have a fiddle n see what happens. Prob won't get around to it today cos doing a 12 hour day and got promoted to head chef :) and got my vk back from impound yesterday so all is sweet :)