Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

launching ve ss

Troy23

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 SSV UTE
Hay guys ive got a worked ssv ute,
Mods include : Cam, OTR, Rip Shift, Underdrive pulleys, 3inch Exhaurst ect ect. All up it puts out just over 460 at the rears. So ive finally given into my mates demands to stop being a f##king pussy and take it down the strip to see if i can really drive the thing (besides going around in circles with clouds of smoke :p). Just looking for some advice into how to launch the thing off the tree. Should i have the traction control on ??? Everytime i try and launch it off the lights without traction control on all i seem to do is fry the rears. Is it all about finding the rite amount of clutch slip??? Just trying to find some pointers so i dont look like a complete tool at the strip and try and do the ute some justice with a decent pass.. Cheers

maka5

-=U=-
Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SS M6
yer but at the strip you do a burnout 1st.. get the rubber hot and sticky.
I launch at around 4000 rpm (20' street tyres) - any higher and it brakes traction

get some drag radials on some 18s or 17s and you will get great grip.

GRPABT1

Jakstas' Warden
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN shitta
See you other identical thread I posted in

TraidMarc

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.traidmarc.com
Members Ride
VE Series II SS-V Redline Sportswagon A6 Phantom
Hay guys ive got a worked ssv ute,
Mods include : Cam, OTR, Rip Shift, Underdrive pulleys, 3inch Exhaurst ect ect. All up it puts out just over 460 at the rears. So ive finally given into my mates demands to stop being a f##king pussy and take it down the strip to see if i can really drive the thing (besides going around in circles with clouds of smoke :p). Just looking for some advice into how to launch the thing off the tree. Should i have the traction control on ??? Everytime i try and launch it off the lights without traction control on all i seem to do is fry the rears. Is it all about finding the rite amount of clutch slip??? Just trying to find some pointers so i dont look like a complete tool at the strip and try and do the ute some justice with a decent pass.. Cheers

460 what at the rear? Kilowatts? That must be some super serious cam.....maybe you are talking HP for some reason....but even still that's 343KW still seems high for just a cam intake & exhaust.

Gambel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV Wagon
It would be 460 hp at the treads which is mid range for a cammed ss.
I have a small cam and got 330rwkw, guys with monster cams can push 380rwkw but are not street friendly.
Back to the question, just get some semi slicks mate and launch at about 4000, should get 11's with that set up.

cheesy_j

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
Lower your pressure in your tyres to around 25psi
Do a good burnout, sit on around 3-3500 (will vary to your driving style)
Then when it hits the last amber light drop the clutch, give it about 3/4 throttle till it hooks up then put ur foot down.
I had the problem of just spinning it like u and it all comes down to not just putting your foot down straight off the line.

With this it's mainly practice makes perfect. The more runs u don on the strip just take off with a little more rpm and u will learn how much u can put ur foot down. U should be running high 12s in full trim

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
460 what at the rear? Kilowatts? That must be some super serious cam.....maybe you are talking HP for some reason....but even still that's 343KW still seems high for just a cam intake & exhaust.

I was going to say the same things. I've got a 23*/23* cam, heads, etc and 335rwkw. 343rwkw cam only would be a brutal animal to drive. Anyway, lets get caught up on the subject of happy dynos.

My advice to the OP:

1. The accelerator is not an ON/OFF switch... You can adjust the throttle to keep traction and you should be able to feel when you're on the edge of traction. In my car, I can't floor it in 1st, 2nd or on the shift into 3rd otherwise I lose traction.
2. As someone has already said, drop tyre pressures A LOT.
3. Biggest mistake I have seen people make os getting all tense and nervous on the line trying to make their first run the best thing ever. Relax, there's no prizes to be won. If your all tense and nervous on the line you're likely to make a mistake.

Good luck and you'll need to report back with how you went.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
whats the issue in using traction control?

there's no way your foot can beat a computer detecting loss of traction, and since the computer makes those adjustments on the fly maybe try your very first run using it?
you are going to be nervous as hell, and if you're thinking about traction and throttle position youre more likely to stuff up a shift, get terrible start timing, or even stall :).

first run buddy. ignore the other car, use traction control, concentrate on good reaction time, and pedal to the metal. :spot on:
this will give you a good baseline to work off in future runs, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with how well you'll go with traction control on.
to compare, try another run with traction control off and see how you go. but definitely leave it on first go mate... what's more embarrasing:

a) stalling or stuffing up shift change or reaction time, or
b) getting off the line quickly and putting in a respectable time, but telling your mates you had traction control on.

easy choice and it takes some of the pressure off.

do a small burn out (again, its your first one at the track... it feels very different to normal road surface and is very sticky), dont worry about completely smoking it up.

and most importantly, have fun!

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
VE traction control is reactive - so it will cut power when it detects loss of traction (as opposed to a proper launch control which modulates power to maintain traction as it learns the point of slip). In doing so, it will cut more power than necessary to the wheels, meaning that GOOD throttle control will garner slightly better results - in theory. Having said that, there's no reason why you couldn't use the traction control as a learning aid (and tyre saver) to find where that point of broken traction is - if the computer activates, you've given it too many beans, try again.

my 2c.

As above.. have fun and you'll pick it up. Stress about it and you'll punt the whole idea.

cheesy_j

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
Main thing Is to have fun. That's all that matters