Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Launching your car at the drag strip

Vees

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Storm Ute
Hi,

So I hit the drag's today for the first time and I had a blast.
I noticed I'm not really consistent with getting good launches. I vary from going off quick, to getting a delay of power when I floor it and then it kicks in. Or sometimes it kinda slugs out, like the exhaust will sound like it's struggling for a few seconds then it will go. Not sure if that's something with the car or a me or just a combination of both.
I tried different things like, a foot on the brake and the accelerator. And just flooring the accelerator when it's the last amber. Or having my foot on the brake then quickly changing and flooring the accelerator and lastly accelerating a bit with my foot on the brake as well then flooring.

Here are my ¼ times:

Note: My car isn't anything quick just a 3.8 V6 automatic 2002 Holden Storm Ute I have on my greens.
First run was with traction control on, the rest had it off. Tried different things mentioned above in each run.

1st run: 17.902
2nd run: 16.950
3rd run: 17.238
4th run: 17.136
5th run: 17.144
6th run: 16.717

Any tips or ticks I should know ?

Thanks,

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah, definitely no traction control.

TBH, the factory tune is fairly average, especially with a few bolt on mods. I'd suggest you will get the best results by progressively adding throttle rather than stomping on it.

You really need to get a memcal tune for the mods you have and make sure they increase AE (Acceleration Enrichment) which the factory tune lacks, especially with a few bolt on mods which IMHO is causing a lean spot when nailing the throttle and hesitation your feeling.

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
no clutch to pop

sit in the car no engine running
have a mate stand with a torch up front and stop watch
practice with that light.... till you get better..... at your reaction times

then refine your skills ..driving that ute as is through the 1/4 mile

Vees

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Storm Ute
Yeah, definitely no traction control.

TBH, the factory tune is fairly average, especially with a few bolt on mods. I'd suggest you will get the best results by progressively adding throttle rather than stomping on it.

You really need to get a memcal tune for the mods you have and make sure they increase AE (Acceleration Enrichment) which the factory tune lacks, especially with a few bolt on mods which IMHO is causing a lean spot when nailing the throttle and hesitation your feeling.

Thanks for that suggestion, will look into getting that for the next time I go. :spot on:

no clutch to pop

then refine your skills ..driving that ute as is through the 1/4 mile

That's cool, sounds like it'll be very useful. Cheers for that.

Guess just start practicing now and looking into that memcal.

R

Risky

no clutch to pop

then refine your skills ..driving that ute as is through the ¼ mile

Reaction time practice a definite & you'll see improvement.

The main thing is as long as you had a ton of fun & you've learnt something from it for next time. I always say it never hurts to ask a question to those in the know. For a bog standard V6 automatic 2002 VU Holden Storm Ute, you did well.

st3r3otyp3

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV VX SS
My tip, just remember go on the second to last amber or last amber if chasing a good RT.

Vees

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Storm Ute
Reaction time practice a definite & you'll see improvement.

The main thing is as long as you had a ton of fun & you've learnt something from it for next time. I always say it never hurts to ask a question to those in the know. For a bog standard V6 automatic 2002 VU Holden Storm Ute, you did well.
Yeah it definitely is. Learning and practice will only make me better, and a faster car too at that haha. Cheers for that, she goes alright hopefully I can get it lower next time around.

My tip, just remember go on the second to last amber or last amber if chasing a good RT.
Thanks for the tip, got to get that sequence down and I should be sweet.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Reaction time won't effect your ET.

billythakid

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx II Executive
Reaction time is only Good for heads up racing

More important is the weather and temps
Cold dry air and your car will have more go / hot humid air will lessen it
Did you let the auto shift or manually punch gears ?
Find when the limiter cuts in and manually shift 200rpm below it to keep it pulling

Get ready for **** to break if the track is sticky enough ,

No1 tip - get a tailshaft loop
It isn't fun snapping one and it digs in kicking the cars ass up . ( 383 in a HQ at 130kph entering a freeway snapped a shaft , dug in and tore half the box out and took 10yrs off our life I reckon )

R

Risky

More important is the weather and temps
Cold dry air and your car will have more go / hot humid air will lessen it
Did you let the auto shift or manually punch gears ?
Find when the limiter cuts in and manually shift 200rpm below it to keep it pulling

Get ready for **** to break if the track is sticky enough ,

No1 tip - get a tailshaft loop
It isn't fun snapping one and it digs in kicking the cars ass up . ( 383 in a HQ at 130kph entering a freeway snapped a shaft , dug in and tore half the box out and took 10yrs off our life I reckon )

Been a long while since I've been at any track. But yeah a tailshaft loop helps. I've seen all sorts of stuff happen over those years & sometimes it can be the smallest thing overlooked.

Vees, for your first go at it, you've done better by actually doing it rather than dream about it.