Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[ACT] laws on p plates

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
Pretty much what aidan said.
ACT Learners: Drive to posted speed limit whilst inside ACT (100, 90..) But once crossed the border must go 80. Can drive any car, in or outside of ACT.

NSW Learners: Must not exceed 80 whilst in NSW or ANY state (even ACT) and cannot drive certain cars anywhere.

ACT P platers however may drive the posted speed whilst in ACT or any other state. (Can drive 110 in NSW)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
This is from the Transport And Municipal Services website.

Territory and Municipal Services - FAQs - Driver Licence Information

Q 4. What is the maximum speed permitted for ACT learner drivers driving in the ACT and driving interstate?
ACT learner drivers can drive to the posted speed limit in the ACT. However, when driving in NSW, learner drivers must not exceed 80 kilometres per hour. ACT learner drivers driving in other States and Territories will need to check with that jurisdiction for the rules pertaining to learner drivers.

Q6. What is the maximum speed limit permitted for ACT provisional drivers driving in the ACT and driving interstate?
ACT provisional drivers can drive to the posted speed limit in the ACT and in NSW. ACT provisional drivers driving in other States and Territories will need to check with that jurisdiction for the rules pertaining to provisional drivers.

cheesy_j

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
What are they like in QLD.
I live in the NT and i was going to drive down in my VE SS and i will be on my P's
Are they as strickt over there as they are down south

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
road rules are state to state... speed limits, signs, rules about turning (like hook turns in Vic), are state to state and drivers must follow them regardless of registration.

licensing and registration is completely different to road rules though!
you are issued a licence and car registration in one state with conditions you must abide by. those conditions dont change just because you drive in a different state.

for instance: you cant get defected by NSW if your car is otherwise roadworthy in ACT and you hold ACT rego. same thing with licences.... you are issued L's, P's whatever in one state with their conditions. you drive into another state, and yes... you must follow their road rules and signs, but the conditions of your licence DO NOT CHANGE.

and to the poster that mentioned that their insurance would be voided, thats rubbish! you've been led astray. provided your car satisfies the registration requirements of the issuing registration body, your insurance will hold up in ANY australian state. take it overseas (like NZ or something) and you wont be covered, but otherwise you'll be fine.

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Hmm well i was just outside of goublurn a week ago when i seen mr copper with the radar (it was to late to brake) and he pulled me over and asked if i knew how fast i was going ect, i was going 104 so that is still in my license conditons. However he disagreed and said that leaner drives have a 'national blanket' of 80kms. I wasnt going to argue but i did say i am allowed to drive the posted speed limit in the act and even spoke to the RTA and said drive to my license conditons their rules but he didnt seem to think so lol :p He was nice about it though and let me off with a caution thankgod otherwise bye bye leaners and 300 bucks. But i was spewing i have to drive like an old lady and hold everyone up :(

DanVN

Cruizin' in style!
Reaction score
Members Ride
01 WH Statesman International 5.7L
Hmm well i was just outside of goublurn a week ago when i seen mr copper with the radar (it was to late to brake) and he pulled me over and asked if i knew how fast i was going ect, i was going 104 so that is still in my license conditons. However he disagreed and said that leaner drives have a 'national blanket' of 80kms. I wasnt going to argue but i did say i am allowed to drive the posted speed limit in the act and even spoke to the RTA and said drive to my license conditons their rules but he didnt seem to think so lol :p He was nice about it though and let me off with a caution thankgod otherwise bye bye leaners and 300 bucks. But i was spewing i have to drive like an old lady and hold everyone up :(

Unfortunetly the ACT laws have the clause about driving in NSW,

I Drove to Q'land through NSW in april and never got a second look for doing 110 the whole way,
Had a mate pulled over for being an L plater doing 110 thru NSW as well, Soon as he showed a VIC license he was let go.

Maxxiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 VZ SV6
He was nice about it though and let me off with a caution thankgod otherwise bye bye leaners and 300 bucks. But i was spewing i have to drive like an old lady and hold everyone up :(
Yeah it sucks hey, I know the feeling, I got caught doing 83 in a 60 accidently on a long weekend, lost 6 points and $250. Still got 6 points though :D Just gotta be careful when I get the P's. When do you get yours?

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
Yeah i really wanted to argue my point but i wont even be allowed to anymore the oldies wont let me only cuase they dont want to loose points. And ill never be able to go 30kms faster then nsw leaners anymore along the hume highway :(. It was always a good laugh when they would stare at you and one day i even got beeped at by some bitch and got told to slow down :p i still have a while till i get my p's