Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LCD display problem

southern Cross

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy barlina v6
I've got a vy berlina commodore started car and found out middle lcd is faded hard to see odometer gear selection ect.the car done low k's don't understand it looks like new everything else is perfect like new.can I just get a replacement middle panel.thanks

b0red2tears

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss 5.7
I've got a vy berlina commodore started car and found out middle lcd is faded hard to see odometer gear selection ect.the car done low k's don't understand it looks like new everything else is perfect like new.can I just get a replacement middle panel.thanks
Had this problem, thought same thing about just replacing lcd. Got a cheap second hand cluster. It's soldered on and being a double sided circuit board means it's a bit of a tricky job. I failed! The pins on the LCD pass through the white plastic and can cause it to melt and stick to it. I cracked the LCD trying to dislodge it.
It certainly would be possible to replace it with a lot of care, correct tools and skill.
But I found a much easier fix...
The problem is caused by heat over time destroying the glue that is used to laminate a film of tint over the screen. This results in the discolouration.
You can carefully peel this layer of the glass. Depending on how far gone yours is will determine how easy it comes off.
You can spray with isopropyl alcohol to help soften the glue. When you have the film off the screen looks much better but still has some discolouration. Use more isopropyl alcohol to clean off all the old glue from the glass. Can take quite a while to get it all, but eventually the screen comes up perfect.
Next you can do the same to clean up the back of the film you peeled of it. If it's to badly burnt you might need to replace this film.
Then all you need to do is stick it back on the LCD. You can use a thin strip of double sided tape along the bottom and on the top corners - this is covered by the plastic surrounding the dials.

Reactions: Lex