Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

LCD Smart TV's, What's good, what's NOT ?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
True, though that webpage doesn't list how many years a TV should resonably last ?

My oldies bought me a satnav for christmas not long ago, and decided to get extended warranty on it just in case. When i saw the price of the warranty, which was about 30% of the satnav i couldn't believe it, Bloody theives at tricky dicks.

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
These smart tvs are fantastic. Samsung has one you talk to and tell it what you want it to do.
The more you talk to it the more it learns.
Also has a laser pointer type function on the remote for using the internet keypad and setting things up.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
Watch out on extended warranties, most of them are a sham since the ACCC mandated some changes about what constitutes 'fit-for-purpose' in 2011. When your dropping a couple/few k on a TV it's not unreasonable to expect it to survive longer than a few years.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/consumer-rights-guarantees/warranties

I've had extended warranties on all the big screen tv's, 4 so far , the old analogue 42'' LG is 10yrs old and still going albeit a panel now.
the first of the digital LG HD 37'' , had to claim at the 2yr mark, 5 years from claim still going.

ad the 58'' samsung , claimed after a few years and the warranty people took up the fight with Samsung to get a full refund.

but , yes you shuldn't need it, but if you have it, you phone the warranty peeps and they did the rest, tv repairer, pick up and updates via email.

Better then being put on hold by samsung , coz you know harvey ain't gunna do sh1t.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
i say the Sony part simply because i was getting my LG tv repaired and he had a room full of TVs which consisted mostly of Sonys.

at the end of the day its the luck of the draw. you might get a TV that lives 7+ years or one that dies after warranty ends.

For the benefit of somebody - you are entitled to expect a reasonable life out of a TV which is generally accepted to be around 7 years and just because the manufacturers warranty ran out after 1 or 2 years, then the tv died you may be able to get a replacement. I did exactly that with a Samsung which was near 1.5 years out of warranty (without purchasing the extended warranty) and got a free new tv.

Warranty has expired - Consumer Affairs Victoria

Watch out on extended warranties, most of them are a sham since the ACCC mandated some changes about what constitutes 'fit-for-purpose' in 2011. When your dropping a couple/few k on a TV it's not unreasonable to expect it to survive longer than a few years.

https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/co...ees/warranties

Exactly - why pay extra for something you get at law anyway?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I've had extended warranties on all the big screen tv's, 4 so far , the old analogue 42'' LG is 10yrs old and still going albeit a panel now.
the first of the digital LG HD 37'' , had to claim at the 2yr mark, 5 years from claim still going.

ad the 58'' samsung , claimed after a few years and the warranty people took up the fight with Samsung to get a full refund.

but , yes you shuldn't need it, but if you have it, you phone the warranty peeps and they did the rest, tv repairer, pick up and updates via email.

Better then being put on hold by samsung , coz you know harvey ain't gunna do sh1t.

If it's a pre 2011 purchase then they know the law ain't going to hold them to account, so I'd understand the potential **** fight.

There's no predefined matrix but there's certainly reasonable expectation. This is quite well worded:

ABC News said:
In layman's terms, that means a consumer can expect a longer legal guarantee to apply for goods that generally last a long time, that are relatively expensive, and where any claims are made about the quality and/or durability of the product by either the salesperson or manufacturer.

For example, if consumers generally buy a television with a reasonable expectation for it to last five years, then they may have a statutory guarantee against the retailer that lasts substantially longer than the one year manufacturer's warranty.

Samsung offer 12 months on TV's out of the box, which is crap because they also tout the durability of their products. That said they also recognise the ACL regarding this: Australian Consumer Law Information

IMO 5 years minimum on one of their smart TV's is completely reasonable and fair if it's not misused and I doubt Samsung or the ACCC would disagree.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
.....coz you know harvey ain't gunna do sh1t.

I think you will find that the ACL contains particular obligations on retailers in these sutations, despite what the dodgy salesperson will claim.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Refer here for who is responsible for what: Store or manufacturer responsibility - Consumer Affairs Victoria

graphicgoose

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 VF SSV Redline
So the best price I've been quoted so far for a Sony KD65X8500B is $2,942. I'm gutted I missed the Boxing Day sale on VideoPro, as they had them for $2,498.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Next question on TV's before this thread vanishes in the never never.
When we do upgrade the TV what's the go with aerials / antennas for them? Our old TV antenna on the roof of the house has just about had it. The Cockys have done a few too many chin-ups and mating rituals on it and I've fo several bits of it in the garden or on the driveway!
Do I need to replace the old school antenna or will my swanky smart TV just pull the signal out of the ether?
I think I know what you're going to say but say it anyway!!